1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PA subs?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Thundar, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Hey fellas....Im puttin together a new band with a buddy of mine who is a drummer, and we're both sick of playin thru PA's that dont have enough lows, so we are going to make sure we have some great subs, and power to run 'em. Any recommendations...lookin to stay under $1,000 for each sub....Im always leaning toward Carvin, obvious bang for the buck....but I would appreciate your opinions.:help:

2. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    The Yamaha Club Series V are highly regarded on the lower end of the price scale.

3. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  4. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
  5. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you go used, you can buy a helluva nice sub rig (cabs, crossover, power amp) for well under $2000. I just did the same with a QSC amp, dbx xover, and 2 Yorkie 18" cabs. Think I've got ~$750 in the package. The sub cabs always take a beating due their size so be prepared if you buy new.

Riis

7. For a powered option, check out Yorkville's LS800P. Great subs.

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    What kind of mains are you running. I'm using JBL Dual 15" and we don't need subs if we don't want them. We may add another (1) Cerwin Vega Sub, but w/ dual 15's you often don't need them.

9. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Ive got several options for the mains...I own Peavey SP2's and he has a set of Electrovoice...both have one 15" ...I dont want to get anything any heavier than a one 15" main... so we have options there....and I dont to buy a 100 lb sub either so Im lookin more toward the lightweight subs...which is why I was leaning toward the Carvins...they are only 69 lbs and 800 watts...but Im open to other options.

10. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    IME, if a 1x15 top needs subs for a particular gig, so does a 2x15 top.

Always go with more sub than you think you need. Most single subs are good to about 55Hz (open A on the bass). In my estimation, for every open bass string you want to be able to reproduce well (meaning the fundamental), you need to triple the subs. So if you want to be able to get the open E (41Hz, you need three good subs. For the open B (30Hz) you need six.

11. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Well, the Growlers are quite a bit more expensive than the Club Series V's, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're better. That said, the Club Series is well-respected on the lower end of the price scale.

12. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Yorkville are really good bang for the buck. Growlers are getting good reviews, but I have never heard them. I heard the Yamaha club series a short time ago, and although they were much better than what I was expecting, they were still not awesome to my ears.

I am personally inclined to buy older, pro PA used gear. Older JBL, DAS, Fane, etc products are presently available at many big PA rental companies for sale at about 25% of the price they were new. They are bigger, and a bit less efficient than most of the modern stuff, but indestructible. I just bought 2 wedge monitors, loaded with JBL and Fane components, for 250.00$. The woofer and tweeter alone would cost me over 900.00$ to buy. And they completely kicked the ass of 2 pairs of Yorkvilles, 1 pair of Yamaha club, and even a new QSC HPR. They are ugly though, and they show they've been around for quite some time. I also recently purchased 2 Turbosound subwoofers for 500.00$ a pair. The 18 inch woofer inside it is 485.00$. They are flyable (won't rig them, but they came that way), are in perfect condition, and are tuned so very sweetly. Very low, more round than agressive, but still make you feel that kick drum. Keep your eyes opened for used on craigslist, e-bay, TB, and Prosoundnews.

Yes, 2x15 will be better than 1x15, as for wattage, ohms, and bass coupling, cab tuning, etc...

Depends also on the kind of music you play. Rock style is usualy good enough with 15's, but R&B, dance, and modern might need subs. Of course, well x-overed subs will also make sure your tops never struggle with hard to reproduce low bass frequencies. Sound is quite tricky, and so many possibilities.