PA support set up for GBE600 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captaind, May 7, 2005.

1. captaind

Apr 9, 2005
    In advance, pardon me for being a dummy! but!!!!

I will be hooking up to the PA tomorrow morning for the first time using this rig. After reading the tech. manual several times i'm more confused than ever.

I utilize no effects unit what so ever but plug into the mixer board. Now, the back of the unit has a effects loop send/receive post eq. It also has a direct output with balanced line level, prepost switch, DI knob min/max and a lift/ground switch.

Where should i hook up from (listed above) to the mixer board. I normally hook a cable from the send to a box going to the mixer. Can this now be by passed?

One other thing, would i be better off not having PA support and just use my rig as is? If all the other instruments are being mixed except me would this sound o.k.?

To be honest, I'm not to keen on giving my tone control to the mixer. I have no confidence in him knowing what the bass should sound like or what i want it to sound like!

Can someone who has experience with the GBE 600 help me out?
  2. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm not well-versed with the GBE600, but I do have some general knowledge on this matter.

The mixer will be fed through the D.I. (direct input), which I believe is on the back of the unit (it will have three prongs). Balanced line level is the level you want to send to the mixer. Pre/Post EQ switch will do just that. If you want "your bass" to go to the P.A., leave it "Pre;" if you want more like your sound is on-stage, try putting it to "Post." Lift/Ground switch should switched from Ground to Lift if your mixer is grounded and giving phantom power to mics (I believe. The Lift will take the D.I. out of that, whereas leaving the switch on Ground will typically give you some hum).

From the mixer to the board? Ask the soundman. I'm not sure on, "I normally hook a cable from the send..." where is this send from?

In a large venue, I think you'll be better with the PA if the soundman is competant. Use your amp as a stage monitor for yourself and the rest of your band (especially the drummer). Trying to mix the bass from the stage is probably a bad idea, you have no idea what it sounds like to the crowd.

Sometimes, you have to just let the soundman do his work while you do yours. Remember that his job is to make you guys sound good; your job is to put on a good show.
  3. captaind

Apr 9, 2005
    Thanks illidian for responding.

The setting will be middle to small venue at reasonable low volume.

O.k., i hook direct to the Direct output on back of rig. Balanced line level setting should be what? Can it be overdone like in distortion?

Yes, i want to control the tone. So i will put it on Post.

Have i got this right?
  4. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Balanced line level should be the level of the signal that is sent into the mixer. Try setting it at twelve o' clock, and only change it if the soundman asks for a weaker/stronger signal. I may or may not be able to be distorted, but probably not. Hard to know without trying with the amp in question.

Also note that just because you have the "Post" switch activated you have all the control over the tone. The soundman will be getting an EQ'd signal from you, but he can still do with that signal whatever he sees fit.
  5. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    On two occaisions when I ran my GB thru the PA I asked the sound guy if he preferred a pre or post signal. Not surprisingly both guys asked for a pre send and I just set the knob at 12 o'clock. I used my spare mic(XLR) cord to the snake on stage. If the sound-person knows what they are doing, they should be able to adjust your sound correctly regardless of room size. If your still not clear at the gig, just ask the soundperson what they want, you can show them where the DI is on your amp and they should be able to set you up and then you can see how its done for future reference. I notice at alot of shows most band members, cept for drummers maybe, rarely speak to the sound person if they are strangers. It may seem like a rookie move but I either ask the sound person or they're helper if they prefer a DI box or my amps DI, its a good ice-breaker and they seem to appreciate the inquiry. Mostly I find they say "Oh cool your amp already has a DI, lets just use that." then they take a look at what is on my amp. You can ask a friend in the crowd how your sound is after a set or two. Communication works wonders still. Good luck, hope your diggin that 600, I sure am.