Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dustklose, Apr 19, 2005.

1. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    i have no clue how to make a good pa system.....i would like 4 12"cabs 2 18" subs 2 10" moniters............but i dont know what kind of mixer, or power amp to get...i dont know what i all need like how i set up all my guitars to the mixer then the mixer to the power amp then the power amp to the speakers??? i'll prolly need a snake right?? i am so PA system....please any help is NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you
  2. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

3. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    and how much will that cost me.....i'm short on money the way it is!!! the pa i want will cost me about 7500$
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Post your question at the LAB Lounge forum here: . There are thousands of bona fide PA experts on that forum, not that there aren't quite a few here as wrell.

I'd highly recommend that your band rent a few systems with an operator from a few different sound providers. Then you'll start to understand what it takes to buy and run your own system, and what sort of system you need, versus what you think you want. You could easily need to spend triple that $7500 figure, or maybe one third of that, depending on a zillion different things you havent told us yet.

Best of luck! :cool:
  5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Those links and forums are probably best to follow.

But just from my own personal advice (take it for what it is), it's really best to think about a PA from a simplistic point of view then expand from there, rather than thinking of how to hook an entire complicated PA setup at once, giving you a big headache. Here is a simple PA setup:

1) plug microphone into mixer XLR input
    2) mixer left and right output goes into each channel of a two channel power amp
    3) power amp left and right outputs go into left and right main speakers.

There you have a very simple PA.

Wanna add more mics or more guitars/bass? Buy direct boxes and plug each instrument into a direct box, then plug the direct box output into a mixer which has enough inputs.

Wanna add more PA speakers like more mains, subwoofers, and floor monitors? You need those speakers plus enough poweramps to power them. Check the requirements of the speakers you want to know how much more poweramps to go with. As long as the signal going out of your mixer gets to each poweramp, and the poweramps deliver power to their respective speakers, you are all set.

Though making it sound good is a WHOLE other story :D

Best of luck!

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you really need something as big as you described, try using 2 JBL 212 cabs and chain a JBL 18 up to each. Each 212 should cost about $1500, and each 18 will cost about $800. So you have used $4600, leaving $2900 for power and a mixer and monitors. You are going to need a ton of power; try either a Crown or a QSC 4000 watts or more. I'm not sure if Crest and Stuart make power amps with that many watts... The price on the QSC 5000 watter is $1500, but get 4 Ohm cabs and run each stack off each side at 2 Ohms with the 20Hz-20kHz thing to get .1% THD (even though its 500 watts per side less). So you have $1400 for a good mixer and some monitors... If you have a ton of instruments and mics get the Mackie 16 channel. Thats $600, leaving $800 for monitors. Get 2 Fender active 10" monitors, which should cost $500 together, leaving you with $300. Finally, you have a giant PA that you will probabally never need and I just wasted 20 minutes. :smug:
    Oh by the way, you are going to need direct outs from all amps or direct outs between the instrument and the amp. If nothing else, a lot of effect units have DIs.