Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA system setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_player_cd, May 4, 2001.

1. bass_player_cd

bass_player_cd terminated.

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    What would a good PA system include? I now you need power amps, but how do you hook everything together. See, we were just going to have an amp for each of our guitarists and a mixer to plug everything into. How would that work. I found an ampeg bass amp. How would we have to set everything up? Can you overload the mixer with too many watts?

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    remember, the mixer goes before the amp(s). never use an amp into a mixer, cause the mixer will explode. Then the signal amplified in the power amp goes straight to your pa speakers.

3. bass_player_cd

bass_player_cd terminated.

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    Couldn't we just have our own amps with a head for each of them? Plus, I dont get what you mean by the mixer goes before the amp.

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    What I meant is in a PA system, the signal goes from mics or line-outs to a mixer, then the mixer mixes the sounds into one channel and sends them to a power amp, which powers the PA speakers.
    If you want the sound from an amp to go to a mixer you'll have to mic the speakers in the case of the guitar amps, or use the line outs if they have them. Never plug the speaker outs into a mixer because that will fry the mixer.

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I could go into a long-winded explanation, but it sounds like to me that you need some real basic information. I'd recommend you go to a music store that sells small basic PA gear and ask for an explanation from someone in the store. They'll show you the basics.