1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PA System Show & Tell

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by samurai_24, Oct 6, 2006.

1. I've had GAS lately for PA equipment. Just wondering if you guys and gals have any pictures/descriptions of what you use, from mixers to amps to monitors to mains to subs etc. I don't have anything at the moment, but am very curious to see what different PA system setups everyone has! So, feel free to post a picture or description of what you're running for a PA!

2. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    I am a great fan of active speakers - lighter and less gear ets. I recommend RCF and EV although there are others about. I use EV Sba 760 (800w) active bass bins for out front and onstage, I use RCF 322a (450 w) for out front and RCF 310a (400w) for on stage monitors with an extra sub on stage to beef up the bottom end. I like digital desks - again all built in fx/eqs etc and programable.

It takes my band less than 30 minutes to set up a be ready to go:D :hyper: . Hope this helps.

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    We have a crew for PA and backline, I know nothing about their PA gear. Sounds great tho'.

4. Here's the kind of stuff I use when I do sound.:smug:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are many great sounding compact systems available nowdays. I would go with a powered system from JBL, FBT, or something similar to that. Mackie Onyx or Allen & Heath mixers are pretty nice for smaller consoles.

It really depends on the size and type of the venues you are playing as to what you will need for proper coverage.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    set2.gif

That's 2 Apogee 3X3's per side, as well as 2 2x18 Apogee subs, Meyer front fills, Apogee wedges.

We've just upgraded our entire PA to the new Meyer self powered boxes though. FOH console is the Yamaha Digital board (PMD?)

6. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Nice looking rig Pacman - I bet she sounds great too:cool:

7. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I just have a little bar band setup, but it's tight and balanced and has more than enough for the places we play.

(2) Yamaha S112V's on sticks
    (2) Carvin 15's in custom boxes for subs
    (2) Crest CPX1500's for power
    (3) cheapie monitors - they do the job though.
    (1) Yamaha MG16-6FX mixer
    (1) Rane PE15 Parametric EQ
    (1) Behringer FBQ3102 Feedback Detecting Graphic EQ
    (1) Behringer Multicom Pro-XL MDX4600 4 Channel Compressor
    (1) Behringer 2-Way ST 3-Way M Crossover CX-2310 (I think)
    (1) ART FXR-ELITE vocal effects processor

Most important... an input panel on the amp rack and labeled cables and jacks for no-brainer, quick setup.

8. Cool. When you say input panel, do you mean like a patch bay or something with labels on it? That sounds like a very good idea.

9. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Yes, but it's not a 'patch panel' with wiring already in it. I will try to remember to take a picture of it this weekend... but the idea is this:

It's a custom panel, you can buy pre-punched ones and build them. You just add whatever connectors you need and do all the wiring yourself. You probably couldn't take my panel and use it on someone else's system unless they had an almost identical setup and signal chain... but that's why they're great for systems. There is NO WAY someone could plug it in wrong; you don't have to know what signal is in AUX1 or whatever, just attach the cables to the proper place on the panel.

The panel is descriptively labeled with the function of the port (monitor in, for example). For redundancy, each cable is labeled on each end as well with cloth medical tape (flexible, tough and doesn't leave residue), describing where you plug it in to. One of my cables, on one end, says "Behringer CH 2 EQ OUT" and on the other one says "Amp Rack Mon. In". Even a drummer could pick that cable off the floor and figure out where it goes, if it came loose. And the components are labeled as well, the CH 2 OUT for the EQ will say something like "Out To Amp Rack Mon. In" just for redundancy.

If you have three cables going from your mixer/effects whatever to the amp/crossover rack, there should only be three options on where to plug them in on the panel, and same for speaker outs. We have XLR inputs for High/Mids In, Subs In, and Monitor In. Speakon output jacks for Left, Right and Monitors (we use 4-conductor speakon wiring for further fool-proofness, sub and high/mids go through the same cable: High/Mids on +1/-1, Subs on +2/-2. Or the reverse... I can't remember which). Don't plug anything directly to the amps; do all the wiring ONCE, at home, when you're planning it out and can take your time. To save money and space I just use the hard-wired amp outputs with 12ga. wire that go to the speakons.

Only pack in trunks the cables you need to pack away. If you have cables that always get plugged into the same places in your racks, then detach ONE end, roll it up, secure it, and put it in the rack with the one end still attached to the component. No digging through boxes looking for the right cable, and less of a chance of an input jack breaking while you're setting up. The only cables we have in our cable box are microphone and spare cables. We even keep the speaker cables in with the amps so they're separate and ready to hook up whether someone brought the cable box in yet or not. Of course, cables that go from one component in the rack to another component in the same rack should NEVER need to be detached on either side, at all. It's all about minimizing the work you have to do each gig.

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Dig, why not use quick connects? One twist and you're connected to all your rack gear, inputs, etc...

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Pacman....what do you have coming through your wedge's? Vocals? Kick? snare? That's a really nice FOH you have there. What's the stage volume like, especially with that big stack behind you? Does your sound guy ride you about volume?

Brian

12. ric1312

ric1312 Inactive

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Bose L1 /pas two bass modules system. I run x2 vocals bass and guitar straight in, for a rock/metal band. Sounds huge, crisp and clean. I refuse to ever use a regular pa system for a small to mid sized club again.

13. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Link to what you're talking about? I'm not sure...

Any way I can make it even simpler, though, I'm game for...

:D

Right now the only hookups I have to do is connect 3 xlr's to my amp rack from the effects rack, and hookup a few cables from the effects rack to the mixer. I can't really get around the mixer hookups, unless I would build a custom box with input rack and snake to house it.

14. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    1 Mackie 808m
    2 19yr old JBL 1512s on stands
    2 yamaha monitors of similar lineage and tonnage
    1 JBL EON powered Sub

200+ shows a year we sound bigger, better, and louder, than bands that bring 3 times the gear, and we always have monitors that are crystal clear, with headroom to spare. A second mix, and a more versatile EQ section would be nice, but it works perfectly every single night.

15. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Maybe you guys aren't using as complex a system as we do...that's entirely possible. This is what we use:
    we use it for snake connections, drive rack connections, amp rack connections, etc.

16. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    1- Mackie 12 channel 2 bus board
    1- Alesis dual channel compressor for vocals
    1- dual 32 band EQ
    1- QSC 1200w power amp for mains
    2- Carvin 800w power amps for monitors
    2- Ev 3way mains(about 12 years old)
    4- Carvin 1-15 monitors

1 main mix, 1 monitor mix

thats it, keepin it simple, we only run vocals and kick drum through it and I can get it unloaded and setup in about 35 minutes. Our drummer uses a brass piccalo snare so no need to mic that and the guitarist used a mesa combo thats friggin loud as it is, I have plenty of power. I am thinking of addin 1 sub just for more oomph on the kick drum.

17. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    JBL EON G2 15 Mains X2
    JBL JRX118SP Subs X2
    EV FM 1202 Monitors X4
    Yamaha MG 16/6FX board

Very compact and sounds fine for small gigs

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021