pa system

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by macool, Jun 10, 2001.

1. my band is just starting to get bigger gigs then birthday parties and such and we need a pa system to sing through. the amp thing just doesnt cut it. all we need is something simple. the guitarist and i are going to play threw our own amps. any suggestions?
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Peavy and Carvin make many head/mixer combo's that should easily cover vocals only. Not sure about quality, (because I don't own one not because I want to jump on the bash peavy/carvin bandwagons). I would check those out first.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bliss is right on the money, IME.

One band I played in many moons ago had a Peavey for the vocals with just 4-12"s in each tower but it could get pretty loud, (guitarist had an 8x12" and I had 3-15's). The Peavey mixer was a workhorse and was still working great when it was sold with many hours on it. The 12"s never blew or tore.

Carvin makes a dandy little package for $660 with a 200W 6 channel mixer and two 300W 12"s. It comes with a mic which you may not need but the package deal is significantly less expensive than buying the same components, less the mic, individually.
  4. I agree. I know from past experiences that the Carvin is a good bet. I would personally recommend that to you.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro mixer, and a couple Mackie 450 powered speakers. COOL. Simple, loud, great sound. Or take a look at the rest of their line. Their powered mixers are great, too ... EQ and effects built in. Spend a little more and get the best. You won't have to replace it a year from now. I've been down the Peavey road, and it's OK, but that's all it is.