Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pa system

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by macool, Jun 10, 2001.

1. my band is just starting to get bigger gigs then birthday parties and such and we need a pa system to sing through. the amp thing just doesnt cut it. all we need is something simple. the guitarist and i are going to play threw our own amps. any suggestions?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Peavy and Carvin make many head/mixer combo's that should easily cover vocals only. Not sure about quality, (because I don't own one not because I want to jump on the bash peavy/carvin bandwagons). I would check those out first.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bliss is right on the money, IME.

One band I played in many moons ago had a Peavey for the vocals with just 4-12"s in each tower but it could get pretty loud, (guitarist had an 8x12" and I had 3-15's). The Peavey mixer was a workhorse and was still working great when it was sold with many hours on it. The 12"s never blew or tore.

Carvin makes a dandy little package for $660 with a 200W 6 channel mixer and two 300W 12"s. It comes with a mic which you may not need but the package deal is significantly less expensive than buying the same components, less the mic, individually.

4. I agree. I know from past experiences that the Carvin is a good bet. I would personally recommend that to you.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro mixer, and a couple Mackie 450 powered speakers. COOL. Simple, loud, great sound. Or take a look at the rest of their line. Their powered mixers are great, too ... EQ and effects built in. Spend a little more and get the best. You won't have to replace it a year from now. I've been down the Peavey road, and it's OK, but that's all it is.

http://www.mackie.com/Products.asp