1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PA System

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Mar 22, 2006.

1. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Wasn't sure to put this, but I need help...

My band is buying 2 Peavey PA Speaker cabs @ 100W each @ 8ohms... Can someone tell me which power amp(s) would work with this. I'm confused because of the ohm rating, I don't know what impact that has on the power amp.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California

Are these powered cabs? If it's not I don't understand your question at all.

3. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The cabs are unpowered...

I need a power amp to run them. I was wondering what type of power amp would work with them..

The impedence of each speaker is 8ohms @ 100W it says on the back. What effect does this have on the power amp? Thanks

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    A poweramp like this one would be your best bet. Why are you settling with these particular cabs?

For more info on ohms check this page out
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144244&highlight=ohms

5. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Thanks dude. I actually used to own these cabs, sold em, now got a chance to buy em back. They're old but theyre reliable, and im getting em for cheap. :bassist:

6. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    You want a power amp that puts out 200W/side @ 8 ohms so that you have adequate headroom.

7. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    Always use an amp with 1.5 to 2 times the power handling on your cabs. Speakers blow when your amp clips. When an amp starts to clip it sends direct current to the speaker and it will blow the driver. This is called "square-waving" Its like plugging you speaker directly into an outlet on your wall......Not good.... I would suggest a 400 watt amp (200watts per side @8ohms).

Also, you don't have to run the amp a maximum output. Turn the amp up to about 1/2 way and start from there. The main idea is to have a lttle more power than you need.