1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PA system?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Kimpini, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Kimpini

Kimpini

May 14, 2008
    Indiana
    I am a freshman in highshcool and in a band. So I go to sign up for a show, so I pick up a form. To my surprise it says each band needs a PA sytemnad a demo of themselves playing! Am I the only one thinking that that is totally crazy?!?!

2. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    How do you hear the vocals without a PA?

A lot of places have them for you but some don't and therefore you need to bring one.

As for the demo tape, after hearing what people think is good up on CL if I where a club owner I wouldn't book a band for free without a demo first.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    If you're in a band, what are you using for vocals now?

Maybe there is another band that will be playing that will loan or rent you their PA.

The demo is in place of auditions. Recording is so cheap these days that you really need to get something going. It will also help you play better as a band by recording rehearsals and finding out where the weak spots are in your music.

Btw, not so surprising....and not so crazy.

4. That's pretty much the rule everywhere over here...

At least have a decent PA for vocals, a must. People conect first with vocals, then with melodic instruments, we're on the last boat... ha ha ha ha

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    You can rent PA systems. If you just need something for vocals, you can get, for example, a JBL Eon and a tripod speaker stand for it. They make ones with built-in mixers, and you can plug a microphone in directly. Put it behind the singer but facing out (so you don't get feedback), and the singer will be able to hear himself, while still projecting to the audience. Doesn't get much simpler as far as PA systems go.

As far as a demo, I recommend a Zoom H2 if you want to record at home. They are about $200. You can also get a cheaper one, if it's just for a demo, or spend some money and go to a project studio.

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-WS-100-Digital-Recorder-Interface/dp/B0009N9PJA

Not great, but they work, and are super-easy to record the audio in the room from band practice, dump to your computer, and then burn a CD.

Here's a pic of my band from high school, circa 2000 (10th grade). I owned the two JBL Eons (we were using them as wedge monitors at this show) and the mixer; the other guitarist owned the two JBL mains. This is back when I was a guitar player (I'm on the right, with the red Strat). Not stellar stuff, but hey, it got the job done, even outdoors:

twilight_festival_band2.