Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA System

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metallkasten, Nov 29, 2002.

1. What benifit, if any, would there be to getting one?

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    That's right.

3. Your keen perception of the obvious is uncanny...I mean what benifit would it have for me, a bass player.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You can, like, play loud and s**t.

:rolleyes:

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Seriously, it would help if you're saying what kind of PA system you're thinking of. A large scale one would allow you to run your bass through it so you wouldn't have to use too much stage volume, or you could not use a bass amp rig altogether and use monitors for your stage sound.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The sucky things about being the one that owns the P.A...............people will expect YOU to haul it around:eek:

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Seriously, if you own the PA, it's like owning the football in a sandlot game. Also, there's no hassle over apportioning depreciation if the band breaks up.

8. At some point someone or everyone in the band has to spring for a pa. IMOH if your in a band where the singer plays no instrument the singer should supply the PA and NOT charge the other members to use it. I feel if the other musicians have to supply their own sound reinforcement gear the non-instrument playing singer should have his/her own PA and know how to set it up. If everyone sings and plays through the PA and repairs are needed everyone should pitch in their equal share to fix it. Of course this program only works in bands where everyone gets along with each other.

9. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    this is exactly the situation my band is in. The singer has the PA. Since the only thing he uses it for is his harmonica and his voice, the other channels are just in support of the stage amps that the rest of us have.

plus, I have enough stuff to haul around--seems like the bass player has the heavy gear (next the drummer's junk) and I don't need to have the PA too. ;)

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I know what you mean all too well................;)

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I load it and unload it at my house, but somebody else has to hump it at the gig.

12. JBplayer,I totaly agree with your comment about the singer owning the p.a! we bass players,drummers and guit. players all have tons of gear to haul around, and the singer....a mic!!!...my singer don't even haul his own mic,he puts it in my guit. players rack drawer...it gets worse,now he only brings the screen off his sm58..which gets put in my guit. players drawer. We get NO HELP moving gear!! his argument is"you guys chose to play the instrument you do,it's not MY fault your stuff is so heavy...I have my mic". at practice he has this little P.O.S Phonic powered mixer and the speakers belong to my drummer and guit. player(also crap,but do not see gigs)yet he bitches because he can't hear himself,or it sounds like $h!t.and when a piece of our gear breaks down saying how much a P.O.S it is! :mad: so I own a rig that does'nt need p.a. support,in fact my rig will KILL a p.a... of course the larger clubs have their own and we get support there...solution:we make him rent a P.A when we do a gig and need to bring one...our arguement,WE ALL OWN OUR GEAR and WE don't need a P.A

13. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    ...couldn't have said it better myself!;)

14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Seriously, if you own the PA, it's like owning the football in a sandlot game

Exactly they HAVE to let you play its good Job security.

Now if you got a van and a Microphone......

AJ

15. Most band leaders own the PA system.