pa systems?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markG, Jul 14, 2001.

1. markG

May 26, 2000
    Next weekend I will be playing my first gig at a place big enough where i am going to be running into the pa. Since I don't have a nice mic that could handle my bass amp I was wondering if it would sound better to use the line out on my amp into the pa or use my sansamp bass driver's di. How different will my tone be when i go direct? Should I save my money and get a mic so the next time I can use that? Oh yeah if it helps any my amp is the carvin RC210.
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Use the SansAmp. It will work very good.
    And Miking a bass cab is not the best way when playing live.
    I like a combination of Miking and DI signals. But when that is not posible, DI is better.
  3. markG

May 26, 2000
    If miking a cab and Di signals is the way to go are there any mics that you suggest for future reference. Also, when using the sansamp as a di should i keep it where a usually do in the line bass>sansamp>amp?
  4. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Why doesn't a microphone work well for for bass? I was thinking about buying a mic so I am using the sound of my amp in the PA, instead of a whole different sound determined by whoever is mixing. Theory being that the audience hears closer to what I am hearing. I guess it kind of bugs me I spend all this money for my amp and adjust it to get my sound and then it isn't really transmitted to the audience. MY amp becomes a really expensive monitor!
  5. I personally like the sound of miking better. Your cab is part of your sound (an Eden cab will sound different from an Ampeg cab given the same amp). If you use DI, I like going off your amp first, because your EQ will usually be very different from your bass directly. Put the Sansamp after your amps line out, or use a compressor channel for your line out. The best mics to look at are high pressure mics designed speceficly for kickdrums or bass amps. AKG D112 Kick Drum Mic, Shure Beta 52, etc... Good mics designed for very SPL's and in the 140+dB range...
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Whether you mic it or run direct, if it's going into the PA, guess who controls what comes out? If you like the sound of your amp, use the line out...and have a conversation with the sound person;)
  7. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Good Point. But the amp doesn't have any input if you run through a direct box.