Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA systems

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Largemouth_Bass, Aug 19, 2000.

1. Largemouth_Bass

Largemouth_Bass

Aug 11, 2000
    I am confused as to the necessary power of a PA system. My punk/pop/ska band consists of 2 guitarists (100W stacks), myself (300W), and a loud drummer. How many watts is our PA system gonna need? If this is an inappropriate place for this message, please direct me where to go.

2. It depends on a couple things. Are you planning to run the instruments direct,miking the drums as well, or are you just going to use it for vocals? If you are not playing large venues, I would recommend a self powered 6 or 12 channel
    mixer (400 to 700 w) with two PA Cabs and maybe some monitors. You might get a better response to this question in the Electric Forum, Amps or Misc.

3. My heavy metal band runs a similar set up. We have an 8 channel mixer, a 4X12 cab and a 400W amp to drive it. When set up in a proper band setting (not in a circle around the drums), the vocals come out clear as a bell. Put in the cab in front of you liek a glorified wedge. lol. As for gigs, well we aint got that far. lol

:D
    Merls