Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA systems

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Largemouth_Bass, Aug 19, 2000.

1. Largemouth_Bass

Largemouth_Bass

Aug 11, 2000
    I am confused as to the necessary power of a PA system. My punk/pop/ska band consists of 2 guitarists (100W stacks), myself (300W), and a loud drummer. How many watts is our PA system gonna need? If this is an inappropriate place for this message, please direct me where to go.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Try the book "Sound Check:The Basics of Sound and Sound Systems" by Tony Moscal (Hal Leonard 1994, $14.95).

When I was in a similar band, our biggest problem was having the vocals loud enough to be heard over all the guitars, bass and drums. That was always our biggest challenge, having an amp big enough to power the microphone for the vocals. We never solved the problem to our satisfaction for our practice sessions. Jason Oldsted

3. Largemouth_Bass

Largemouth_Bass

Aug 11, 2000
    Do you have any gear reccommendations? If you could tell me roughly the minimum number of watts we might need to be heard at a comfortable level, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Im not sure exactly how many watts you need but you probley dont need something too big. Peavey sells these powered consoles for about $700 that have like 12 cannels, digital effects, and best of all, like a 16 or 18 frequency EQ with a feedback locating thing. I think there like 300 watts@ 4ohms. Im pretty sure that would be cool for bars, basements, garages, you know stuff that aint too huge. Good luck.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Largemouth:

Generally, a topic like this would fit in quite nicely in the "Amps" forum. I'll move it in the next few days, as this new board won't leave a closed thread behind to let people know where it was moved to.

Will C.:cool:

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My band has similarly powered instrument stage amps, and we use a 1500-watt QSC power amp for our PA. I consider this to be slightly underpowered, but we have never had any problems with volume, even outdoors. I just think we should have a little more headroom.

We bi-amp the PA, so one half of the amp drives our JBL 18-inch subs (which is definitely on the edge of being underpowered), and the other half drives our JBL 925 two-ways (which is probably OK). We drive the monitors with a separate Alesis 200-watt amp into four EV 12-inch monitors, and it seems to be plenty of power. On smaller gigs, we lose the subs, use our JBL 935 three-ways for mains, and use half of the power amp for the mains and the other half for monitors. It works fine.

If I were going to do it again, I'd probably get something like a Mackie 1400 for the subs, and another one to split between the mains and monitors. Either that or split a 2600 between the subs and mains, and use an 800 for the monitors. You know, mix and match. The cool thing about the Mackie amps is that they have built-in crossovers. Hope this helps.

Oh, by the way, whatever mixer you get (Mackie rules), get at least four channels more than you think you need. Check out this site for possibilities.

http://www.mackie.com/Products.asp

[Edited by Munjibunga on 08-20-2000 at 10:41 AM]

7. If your just looking for a practice PA, something with 400 watts would br enough to carry vocals. But if you're looking for a Pro type sound system, nothing less than 5000 watts. You'll be miking everything then. The cabinets should by of good quality as well as the power amps.
    We use JBL SL4738's & SL4718's, QSC3800 & two 1400 amps.
    This system can handle crowds from 60 to 600 with no problem. Check in your area with some local sound companies or music store pro-sound guys for there help. Of coarse you can always rent a sound system when you play out!!
    Have fun
    Chuck

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    mmmmmmm ... Well, five kilowatts would surely handle most semi-pro venues, but you have to know that the pros are running 20 kw and up. A couple thousand watts can handle crowds up to 500 or more, depending on the venue. For the gear that LMB listed, I still think a couple kw would do it. And by the way, those probably are SR series JBL's, not SL's.

9. Your right!! SR4738 & SR4718. It's been a long weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Later Chuck

10. Largemouth_Bass

Largemouth_Bass

Aug 11, 2000
    Is there any way I can keep this system under $800? What are some online stores that I can peruse some of this gear? I really appreciate all the help and offers from you guys.

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000