1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PA treatment of flats vs round

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NoisyFroggy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. NoisyFroggy

NoisyFroggy

Jan 24, 2012
    Lyon, France
    Hi there, long time lurker, first post, and i do not know whether it belongs in the string or in the live sound section.

Anyway, here goes:

I have been playing guitar for years and started playing bass last summer and am now exclusively playing bass, mostly at church, and mostly because we had no bassist in the P&W team, but I am now having such a blast I do not see myself playing guitar with the P&W team for quite some time.

I started with an epi EB-0 which I slapped some chromes on, and then bought a Vintage by Wilkinson 5 string Stingray copy (bought it from a UK store).

I immediatly put chromes on it and liked it a lot this way.
    Come my Xmas GAS attack, I bought a second-hand squier VM jazz bass fretless, which, much to my delight, came with chromes, and sounds like heaven.:hyper:

I then decided to have a go at rounds and put DR Nickel low riders on the 5 string.

I found I lost some thump but gained serious stingray growl and punch, while avoiding obnoxious highs. Me likey.:bassist:
    I like the low riders tension, and feel the B string is a bit more defined that its "chrome" counterpart.

The thing is, I tried it with the worship band at rehearsal, and have had a hard time eq-ing it correctly with the sound guy. We were running short on time so I played with the fretless and flats, but with the rounds on the fiver there seemed to be too many overtones resulting in some uncontrollable low frequency feedback.

I am sure there must be a way to use my fiver with rounds on it and still get a good mix (obviously). Any ideas? Where to start? Are there some frequencies I should target and cut?
    It is difficult to describe but it seemed that there was still some kind of "reverby" low end resonance (for lack of a better description, my apologies for my limited pidgin English:meh:) even when I stopped playing and stopped my strings from vibrating...

Thanks in advance!

2. well I personally donĀ“t like the stingray with rounds. I, at least, have to eq the **** out of it to define it well in a mix. With flats is perfect

3. NoisyFroggy

NoisyFroggy

Jan 24, 2012
    Lyon, France
    Thanks Emanuel, I do agree the "stingray with flat" is a nice sound indeed ("good times" & "Another one bites the dust" anyone?).
    The thing is
    I love "the stingray with rounds" too, and hope to find a way to make it useful in a live mix...

4. i had the same type of situation pop up when i used to play bars. i LOVED XL nickels on my VM Jazz, but i quickly found that in order to really "sit the bass down" in the mix, i was playing entire sets with the tone rolled completely off. Flats solved that problem, and although it isn't my favorite Jazz bass sound when solo'd, in the mix the flats just worked.

the situation may be the same with your 'Ray copy. maybe just swap the rounds for flats saturday night before church, and put the rounds back on for messin' around on during the week.

or buy another 'Ray copy and dedicate a bass to each. :smug:

5. NoisyFroggy

NoisyFroggy

Jan 24, 2012
    Lyon, France
    Help, there must be a way to get some usable sound live with nickel rounds:help:?

Of course, buying yet another bass sounds good to me, but the Wifey seems to mind:meh:

6. You don't have to buy another bass, just put a set of chromes/flats and you're good to go.

7. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
  8. NoisyFroggy

NoisyFroggy

Jan 24, 2012
    Lyon, France
    This is a very interesting read, thanks!
    I take it that the change of strings from flats to rounds somewhat upped the harmonic content of my sound and caused this issue to occur? Is there a way to eq out the problem? I'll have to try and see next time I bring the fiver at rehearsal...

9. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Is the problem, maybe, that you are boosting bass onboard to get the rounds to sound full? If so, there is your problem. Try cutting the Freq's you don't like instead of boosting.

FWIW the church I play in has a bad mode around 200 Hz or so and any bass boosting EQ on almost anything will bloom like crazy.

10. NoisyFroggy

NoisyFroggy

Jan 24, 2012
    Lyon, France
    Thanks Joe, this might indeed at least be part of the problem, especially coming from flats... I will try to "lighten" the low frequencies content of my sound and see how it goes.