1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PA upgrade

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by GRAHAM SG1, Apr 1, 2013.

1. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    The time to upgrade our PA has arrived, I am looking at getting some new light weight gear and am interested in the Alto range .
    I am thinking of the below;

Alto ZMX 164 FX mixer
    Alto TS115A x2 for mains
    Alto TS112A x2 for monitors

Has anyone got any experience or views on this brand please

Thanks

2. unless you have some crappy no name brand speakers then Alto isn't really an upgrade IMO. they do make some ok stuff, the products i have used and seen i have been happy with the sound..really happy, just not in the build quality of their products.

depending on what you have currently, i would take a look at the EX live X line of products for speakers, and the allen & heath ZED series for mixers...this will give you a good quality budget system at a somewhat "affordable" price.

thanks

3. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    Currently we use the following for gigs;

Yamaha EMX88s powered mixer
    Peavey Messenger PRO12 4 ohm main speakers x 2
    Wharfedale SVP-12 monitors/powered and extension

My current gear has plenty of power and good sound but is bulky and heavy, I have to carry all the PA gear in my car plus my bass gear, I would like to get some lighter gear and the Alto active speakers and mixers get better reviews than the Mackie thumps I was looking at, I had a pair of Mackie thump 12 actives which I was not impressed with, they lacked volume and they share the same amp as the Thump 15s.
    I have a budget of around £700 (sterling), I was thinking of getting a pair of Alto TS115As for the main speakers and an Alto mixer and using my Wharfedale monitors until I can afford some Alto TS112As for the monitors .
    I know the Yamaha powered mixer is good but its old and bulky/heavy .

Who makes the `EX` live systems ?

4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    He meant EV Live X - Electro Voice.

Whatever you get - I would skip the 15's for mains and use 12's plus a single 15" or 18" subwoofer.

5. HarlowSound

HarlowSound

Apr 7, 2013
    Graham, I have never heard of this nor would I recommend it. I am a professional sound designer and I would suggest going with a yamaha board. google yamahaproaudio and check those out. Do you have a budget in mind?

6. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    Thanks for your comments, I like the look of the EV series, they do some nice 12" subs as well, quite a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for, as I have discovered with my Barefaced cab .
    Its all a balance between cost and the amount of use the gear will get, we dont play many gigs, once a month at the most so to justify expensive gear is difficult :meh:

7. quite right i did....must of had a few that night...lol i gotta stop drunk posting in forums...lol

if you want to stick with wharfedale, you can also try the Titan Active series. i have had good success with them, and they don't sound too bad.

8. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I just want reasonably priced lightweight gear that sounds good in most pub/club situations and is reliable, whatever I buy will not get used much more than once a week so not a great deal of wear and tear really .

I have come to the conclusion that I need;

Mixer (8 channel min).
    2 Active 12" cabs for PA duties.
    Lightweight Monitor set-up, either an independent system or 2x12" active cabs.
    2 lightweight subs, I like the look of the 12" EV ones .

I reckon all this will cost a small fortune so the need to economise where possible is required, we do not gig very often so might buy a bit of the jigsaw every now and then .