Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA version of Avatar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jack, May 11, 2005.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I saw these on E-Bay, seemingly good speakers at really cheap prices. I immediately thought they were either garbage or a ripoff some other way. But then I went to the site and noticed some very good deals at good prices, are these even worth checking out do you think?

Think about it, very bare-bones phyiscally, off the shelf components, selling direct online, similar mission statement.

Or are they, like their name suggests, Class D products? :D

Class D

2. ha...Class D, not exactly the best name.

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I've got 2 of them. They are actually good cabs with good drivers. The only real downside is the crossover (there is a thread going on right now about this), and to an extent the tweeter. I upgraded the tweeter for about $20 with a 300W Pyle Pro, and it sounds 10 times smoother. I can completely open up the tweeter and it's not harsh. Bright, but not harsh. Avatar is good stuff for the money, and for just a little more it can be even better...not junk at all.

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks, the avatar comment was a compliment, 'cheap but good'.

Marcus, what do you use? how much power? for what sources?

Anyone else use them? (Questions, questions) :)

5. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    The one I have at work is powered by a Crown PowerTech (600W bridged mono) with a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ as a preamp. The other is the one I put the better tweeter in and I use for other gigs. Currently with a Behringer (yeah, I know...) bass head. The 300W one, I can't recall the model number. Both cabs are a single 15" with tweet. I'm done with 10's (did that for years)..I like the sound of a single 15". Plus this is just about the smallest single 15 cab you can get. Seems like he doesn't make the compact 15 any more tho...dunno why, but he only seems to offer the larger single 15 cab.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Oh, youre using them as Bass cabs?

Theyre marketed as PA cabs, but if theyre good for bass as well (specs say no, but meh) then thats even more incentive.

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Just a little bump.

Anyone? Or will my band be the unwitting guinea pigs?

(Except Marcus of course)