1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"pacemaker" tube "amp". need info!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tdogg, Mar 4, 2010.

1. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    ok, so its definitely not a bass amp.... or a guitar amp. its an all tube record player that my drummer found in his grandfathers basement. i has mic inputs, so he plugged a guitar into it and it actually sounds pretty good. crank the volume and it overdrives beautifully (much nicer overdrive than any other record player ive plugged into anyways :D:bassist::rollno:). have any of you guys seen one of these before? info is appreciated, but even if you dont have any, its still neat.
    DSCN0329.jpg
    DSCN0330.jpg
    DSCN0332.jpg
    DSCN0334.jpg
    DSCN0336.jpg
    and some pics with the top off.... enjoy!
    DSCN0337.jpg
    DSCN0339.jpg
    DSCN0342.jpg
    DSCN0347.jpg
    inside the top
    DSCN0346.jpg

2. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    No info here but it sure looks sweet.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Looks like a single 6L6 power tube, so, maybe as much as 25 or so watts. Tube rectifier, also good tonally, and pretty much handles any speaker load. What's not to love?

4. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    is that a rectifier tube? i was wondering about that.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Looks like you're missing a tube, which may be why it was driving into overdrive so quickly. There are two spots labeled 6L6GB which should be the power tubes, the 5U4GB is the rectifier. What's up with those mic inputs? They look weird in the pictures, unless I'm just not seeing it right.

Could be pretty cool if you clean it up a bit. Put it in a different chasis and use it as a practice amp.

6. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    the mic inputs are wierd, they actually screw on. luckily he had the old cords and made one into an instument cable. i should see if we can find a pair of new 6L6's to see how loud this thing can go. its not all that loud currently.

7. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

This unit is likely a public-address system for a school or auditorium.

Might sound good for guitar, but I think it will distort way too much for bass.

8. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    makes sense, we thought it might be some kind of ancient kareoke machine

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, this looks like it's gonna be a cool guitar amp or even harmonica amp.

oh, and good god, don't turn it on with a missing power tube! :eek:

plug into that "phono" rca input and i think it will have even more gain.

10. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    :bag:
    this thing may have been without the other tube for years

11. Old pa amp, it should have 2 6L6s in there (see empty socket), I’d say it runs around 35 watts or so. Those were used a lot like the Bogans in offices and stores (John/appliances come to the phone).
    The mic cable connectors are still available (I’ve seen a lot of bullet mics with that connection btw) so you could convert a cable or have a tech change out the jacks.

That could be a nice little recording amp, great sweet break up at low volumes.
    Live much better with guitar for the same reason.

Nice find

12. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    That's awesome!, I love those old tube Pa amps, some of them sound great for guitar.

13. Hi.

A nice find indeed.

I second (third) the motion to NOT use the amp with only one power tube. 6L6 tubes are cheap enough to buy a pair.

I also second the comment about the mic-connector being somewhat regular with older gear, as a matter of a fact AFAIK that's the "correct" mic connector that was used, before the phone jack/plug craze started way back.

Definitely something worth holding on to.

Regards
    Sam

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020