1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Packed House but....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Oct 18, 2009.

1. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I don't know...I think we are a catchy pop band. We've had good gigs and bad ones.

Last night, it looked like it was going to be a good gig. This place is very large so people can be relatively 10 yards away or so. We finish one song and everyone is just talking among there groups as if we aren't even there.

The ratio was probably 2-1 guys, and guys usually don't start the dance, but that was real discouraging. We played our best tunes, a 40 min set, and we couldn't get the crowd's attention.

Does this happen to a lot of you? Or do we just suck and think we sound good and just have good friends who fortify us with positive talk?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    You suck. Happens to my band too though, so I guess we suck too. Just depends on the crowd and the night.

3. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    First sets are usually a kinda "break the ice/warmup" set in many places ...

Second and third sets usually fair better in my experience

Felixwhistlethumb. ...

4. That reminds me of my high-school/house-party gig days. We certainly did suck back then, but I'd rather have a crowd boo than ignore. :atoz:
    In my case, we're talking small/hick-town, and the kids ignoring us were just *too cool* to notice the lame band. Again- we sucked, & looking back, I gotta think faking up some self-confidence(a great trick I learned much later)& actually moving about a bit would have made a WORLD of difference.

5. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    well, we were a headliner of a 6 band night and we started at midnight. Drunk people. It just didn't work I guess. Maybe we do suck.

6. Lots of bands suck, even though they have good players. They just don't realize it. It happens all the time. That is no reason to stop playing though, just a reassessment of what you are trying to get out of the expeience.

7. cp4eva

cp4eva

Jul 17, 2009
    Houston, TX
    My first gig ever was in front of 5 people. 3 of whom were friends. We opened for a band that was more lame and moring than we were and we had to stay and watch them in order to get our $50 or whatever it was for the night.

I can laugh about it now, as we went on to have some good shows were there were more than 10 people there that actually payed attention (that weren't friends! hah).

Bad gigs happen to good bands and vice a versa.

8. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    people have to have been drinking to loosen up... also, it's vital for a band's female friends/wives, etc.. to get up and be the "first" to dance.. also, sometimes, people @ clubs tap their feet instead of dancing..

9. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I don't think we suck.

10. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Clips?

My singer cannot sing at all but I could care less. I'm playing music and I enjoy it.

11. I was not suggesting that you suck, really just reminiscing about my own suckage. :rolleyes:
    Man, drunk people ignoring you? That's a bit painful. My experience of late has been that drunks LOVE YOU, MAN! PLAY ANOTHER SONG! WOOOO!!!! :ninja:
    But I'm guessing that playing 5 bands prior to the headliner(which the majority of the crowd may have been there to see)had a lot to do w/it.

12. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    theidiomatics.com

there are clips at the bottom. one is produced and rest are live

13. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Hrm. It's not that you guys suck. You and the drummer are pretty darn tight! I like it :).
    Singers voice comes through as whiny on the clips, but that might just be the eq'ing.

Couple of reasons no one may have been paying attention-they were already music'd out, it was late and they didn't want to dance, or maybe they were talking about you amongst themselves :).

But judging from the clips, stick with it. You and the drummer have a good thing going. Maybe try a 4 hour show somewhere ? There's a difference crowd wise when you play 4 sets , cause usually the first set is nothing and they get better (response wise) from there. The audience has had time to observe you and get used to your style....and has drunk/eaten enough to want to dance :).

May I make a suggestion? Since we're in 2009, maybe you should save the "formed in 2009" (on the website) for when it would sound impressive..... like in 5 years or so :).

14. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

That's what I'm talking about!

Felixyeahthumb. ... It's a totally different dynamic when it's "your" show

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    they were probably just burnt from the freaking 5 previous bands.

i've found that in any small-club lineup of more than 3 bands, it's the second-to-last slot that you want. the first slot is the "bitch" slot, and the last slot is the "paying your tab and leaving" slot.

16. CDRhom

CDRhom William Murderface's Bass Tech Gold Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Sometimes it's just the audience. I was at a local music festival Friday night and the band was awesome. It was obvious they were giving it 110%. The only people dancing were me and every child under 8. Everyone else sat in their seats and clapped politely after each song. I think sometimes that people are so used to electronic media they have forgotten, or never knew, how to be a live audience for a live performance.

17. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    My guess is, they weren't ignoring you. Maybe, instead, the problem is that all y'all are ugly and just couldn't look at you?

:)

18. sawgydawg

sawgydawg

Aug 4, 2009
    man these guys are harsh on you..

Anyway that type of music I heard on the site, eh pretty REM meets Talking Heads for what little I heard. Unless your crowd is 35+ I really doubt people are going to be getting down to that.

It really depends on the crowd, my band does well because we play what people are interested in and what we enjoy. :\

as for people saying you suck, i mean that there opinion but if you guys like it keep rockin' just don't get mad when other people don't get it.

19. Like you said...you have good gigs...you have bad gigs....it's just like that sometimes.. I don't think there's a formula.

We've played places where during load in and set up I thought, "This is gonna suck." Completely based on the type of venue and the local bar flies that were already there hanging out. Turned out rocking with a totally different crowd later on.

Played places that I thought were going to be great and we played to crickets.

I wouldn't take your last gig as a measuring stick of your talent. The next gig might kick ass!

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    OK....so your music isn't bad. I kinda dig it actually. But the singer gets on my nerves. It sounds like he's trying to be somebody else during each song. One minute he's Neal Young. The next minute he's the singer for R.E.M. Then Jamiroquai. It just sounds like he "trying too hard" to be cool and doesn't have his own thing going. Tell him to pick one guy (himself would be a nice change) and be THAT guy. Anyway...all I'm saying is that he would be enough to make me not want to run up front and hang with the band. I'm just being honest and trying to help. Good luck.