1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Packing/Shipping old SVT - How To???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldSchoolBass, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Preparing to sell an early 70's SVT that I am not using. However, it occured to me that this thing is a few pounds shy of a TON. That said, I am curious, as I am sure some of you have sold, packed and shipped a similar item in the past. I hae no idea how to do this, unless I get lucky with a pickup.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! :help:

Thanks in advance, as I am pretty much clueless about sending it on its way....

:confused: :confused:

If there is a thread concerning this subject, great! I assume this question has been asked more than a few times.... Sorry. :(

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'd suggest yanking out the tubes and mailing those seperate, getting a roadcase for it, and shipping it freight. :)

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Buy a cheap foam mattress cover, make sure you have clearance of at least 4 inches on all sides. Bubble wrap the amp and then surround it by the foam on all sides, I mena PACK IT IN. Should survive the trip. Make sure to put a ton on the sides and bottom of the box.

The guy in the "ship a tube amp" stick is wrong and if you follow those instructions if the amp gets damaged there is not enough clearance for the shipping companies requirements for covering insurance claims.

And do not use UPS. I have rarely received a package from DHL that even had a single dent.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  5. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

That dude is WRONG!

I posted in that thread. It leaves ZERO clearance on the sides meaning if you needed to do an insurance claim it wouldn't be covered since a 2 inch clearance is required on all sides :)

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    But if he reads the THREAD he will get some good info on packing it.

You can get large double thick boxes here http://www.uline.com/

No styrofoam peanuts. Use the large bubble bubble wrap.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i shipped a heavy 400+ not too long ago and here is what i did.

i bought a roll of thick bubble wrap. i wrapped, and wrapped, and wrapped and wrapped till it was basically floating on air . once it was about 4" thick all around, i put it in a double box. inserting cardboard strips anywhere there was extra space.

i then used packing tape with string embedded through it. i first went over all the flaps and edges, then for measured i covered the entire box using a one strip to go all the way around.

after that, it was bomb proof.

8. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

I did something very similar with my 400+. Wrapped it in bubble wrap twice and then put soft foam all around it. It would have dropped, bounced, and the amp would be good to go.

:)

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    One thing I love about Thunderfunk: mine arrived packed pretty much exactly in that fashion.

Having worked for UPS in the past, it's worth noting that the truck loaders are on a schedule that is really tighter than is safe for the packages. I actually felt bad about some of the mistreatment I had to do to packages to keep up with the pace. Ever since then I pack my stuff so that it can survive a 6' fall (since I can think of several 6' falls I witnessed) and have had no problems. Large bubble bubble wrap has been very helpful in this regard.

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    that's EXACTLY why i was so anal about packaging it. i deal with ups claims all day and so much stuff gets messed up.

i didn't test out my amp by dropping it, but i used a hole roll of bubble wrap on it. i annoyed the hell out of my co workers because i kept wrapping it with packing tape before even putting it in the box.

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i can't even say how many times i wrapped it. the more the better i always say.

12. I appreciate all the insight and advice - I will wrap, wrap. wrap, until I can wrap no more. :D

Then again, if a pick up occurs, I will be a much happier camper... But not sure that is reality.

Thanks!!

13. One more question - am I taking out the tubes and wrapping them up individually? That was mentioned, but never elaborated on....

Or stuff the interior?

Last question, I promise!!

Thanks again. :hyper:

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i didn't remove the tubes from mine, but to each his own.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd also say pull the tubes and mail them separately but number each tube and write up a little diagram to send with it showing where each one goes, at least for the power tubes.

16. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I successfully shipped a (85lb.) SVT-CL cross country a couple months ago.

I first removed the rear panel/front grill and completely filled the interior with rolled/folded bubble wrap to very securely hold all the tubes in place, and then reinstalled the panels.

I then cut out two layers of cardboard and taped them (w/blue masking tape) to the front panel for extra knob/pot-shaft protection.

I then completely wrapped the amp in two layers of bubble wrap, placed it in a tight fitting box and taped it up.

I then wrapped that box with 2 more layers of bubble wrap and placed it in a larger secondary box.

This box then receved a full roll of high quality shipping tape wrapped all the way around and in every direction covering the entire box.

After discovering how awkward this heavy box was to handle, (and picturing the shipping company employee's struggling/dropping/slamming it around) I then used two sections of that very flat 1" wide rope (we call it mule tape or parachute cord) and fashioned 2 very convenient carry handles by securely tying each section around the box (around the narrow dimension / a few inches from each end / knots located at the bottom) and then completely taping over these ropes only leaving the very top of these convenient grab handles available for anyone to use.

I made both of my boxes out of larger (free) ones I scavenged by simply cutting and using a 2x4 to crease the boxes edges as needed.

I instructed the buyer to remove all the interior bubble wrap before powering up. He was amazed with the packing and the amp was receved in absolute perfect condition.

17. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I wish more people shipped things like you and myself. That is a well done packing job. :)

18. Thanks again for all of the valuable information, I appreciate it! I guess I can move forward then!