1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Packing Up Madness

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by snappytom, Oct 29, 2006.

1. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    Normally at the end of a gig the packup is fairly calm since the pub is usually clearing out or closed.

Played a private party last night that rented out this entire pub, we were to play until 11:30 then a DJ takes over.
    The gig was good, we nailed it and the crowd was liking what we had.
    But the A-hole DJ was one of the party organizers and was pushing for us to end so he could do his thing.

Ever packup up during a raging party ? This was a new one on us, man what a pain. The place was packed so trying to get to the door hauling stuff was a chore. And the DJ was constantly on our case about not messing with his stuff (our mixer and his stuff in a sea of wires on the same table).

Does not really bother me now but at the moment it was really annoying. Party was actually very fun, but after getting our stuff out alive we all left to another pub to catch the last set of some local friends playing there. Gave everyone a chance to cool off (the DJ really ticked off a few band members).

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Yep, after all these years, disco still sucks...:)

3. yea, djs suck

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Stuff like that happens. You just have to roll with it.

5. bhawk1

bhawk1

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    A shame the pub didn't have a back door? Makes the load-out nightmarish.

6. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    DJs piss me off.

why would i want to either A) pack up, or B) see another band pack up only to have someone stand there and put on music for me, which, tbh, I could do for free in my room.

but yeah, I was loading out through a packed club the other day, it is annoying. gigging is definately worth the hassel though!

7. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I don't get this. If he doesn't want your equipment set up while he is "performing", then why does he have his gear set up while you are playing.

8. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    Agreed ... we should have seen it coming ..... live and learn ...

9. GrooveBass

GrooveBass

Oct 10, 2004
    Iowa
    There's nothing worse than DJ's man. I can play the whole Frogwings CD in my room or I can play it really loudly in front of a lot of people and try and jive behind my mixer. For my money, I'd rather be poked in the eye with a red-hot cactus than watch a DJ for more than a song or two. Give it to me raw, live, and alive.

10. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Meh, DJ's have their place. I mean, I've made alot more money DJing than playing bass, and I'm a much better bass player! :) It can be unsettling to be followed by "recorded" music, but sometimes pubs make the most money off of the "club" and not necessarily the live band that plays before or follows.

Anyways, to add another story to this thread, we were playing a local gig with a band we have toured with a bit. This is a large national act in it's genre, so the place was packed. We have a decent amount of our own following, in addition to their following really liking us, so by the time we went on, the place was packed.

Unfortuantly, we all had an early morning the next day at a fishing tournament, so we wanted to take off right after we played. We ended up sliding gear over the pool tables, as it was the only place not occupied. Security and the club owner wouldn't help us, so we had to work with what we had.

Cheers.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If the situation arises again, I would negotioate a "window" of time before the DJ starts to unload stuff and get out of the way.

12. Most of the venues we've played have had enough room for a DJ to set up separate from the band (like on another part of the stage or a different area of the room)...in fact, most of the DJs we've worked with have been pretty nice, so I haven't had any problems like that. Usually it's bands playing before us that are slow to pack up, which are the problem.

13. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Just be glad it wasn't a "DJ INSTEAD of band" gig!

14. Been there , done that. I played a wedding gig this past summer where the bride hired the band [us] and a DJ. We were able to set up on opposite ends of the stage which was o.k. The only problem was absolutely no time between our last set and the DJ's first set. It was a nightmare breaking down and loading out, especially when crossing the dance floor with gorgeous, gyrating, females dressed in low cut tops, and short dresses:D :D in the path to the door. Needless to say, it took me a lot longer to get out of there.:D :D Can someone tell me why you would hire a band and DJ to play the same gig? It doesn't make sense, the band is already set up and could play the entire gig. DUH:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021