Padded Cover - Repair Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by vanderbrook, Nov 15, 2002.

1. vanderbrook

vanderbrook Some days, I miss frets... Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    First, lemme say it's good to be back. I got the ol' axe at work about six weeks ago (no, they didn't give me a Testore as a bonus) so I've been job-searching prestissimo and I had been kinda busy for a while preceding that event, so it's been a coupla months since I've kept up with the august proceedings here at I've missed you guys (but I won't admit to it if asked). :D

And now, down to business. Some of the stitching holding some of the handles to the rest of my case/cover have been wounded in action, and I've begun to fear that things may come apart suddenly at the worst possible moment if I don't act soon. I'm just not sure where to look for help. Didn't find a category for "Bass Covers - Repair" in the yellow pages, so I'm in a minor quandary. (If there isn't already a tune so named, I get dibs.) Any suggestions? Should I approach a tailor? Maybe drive the 30 miles to Boulder and a prestigious mountaineering equipment shop that repairs that kind of gear? Hey, Bijoux: know of any local resources I might try?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The cost of a new case is a potentially lot less than the repair caused by a dropped bass. If you're broke, I'd bear hug the baby to move it around until you can afford the new bag.
  3. vanderbrook

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    I'd spring for a new cover, but this one is not quite a year old, and in otherwise excellent shape. Being temporarily unencumbered, I'd prefer to do the frugal thing and have it repaired. Thanks for the advice, tho.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    As long as you trust that the frugal thing is actually frugal. If the last handles pulled free, the next ones will likely do it even faster, and perhaps with less warning now that the bag material is older.
  5. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Shoe repair shops can fix bass baggs. One of my section mates had hers fixed at a shoe repair shop, a whole new zipper cost almost as much as a new case. I would guess a tent and awning (sp) could most likely repair it too.

You most likely buy a new bag on line for about the same price.

I could not remember the name Cobbler for some reason. Brain glitch!
  6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I used to stitch up my old bag with a canvas needle and some nasty thick thread that was made for canvas, same stuff I used to repair my old tent trailer with. It was easy to add a few stitches, and a decent repair can be stronger than the thread used by most bag mfrs.

Bob Frugal, too
  7. I was attracted to this Thread as I have just completed repairs to my Bass Bag yesterday....
    I should say at this point that I am a self employed Carpet Layer so I probably have a little advantage over you! however, don't panic.
    I called into my Bass shop about a week ago to enquire about a NEW bag for my 3/4. The fully PADDED bag here in Aussie retails around the $550.00. I wasn't going to pay that, I was then told that one of these bags had been returned because it was faulty.... Zip was gone, two of the handles had begun to seperate from the face of the bag... and that I could have it as is for $40.00.

I grabbed it ! First thing I did was get to a haberdashery store and picked up a 1 inch wide continuous Zip (Heavy Duty) ($12.00)also for reinforcing I bought 8 feet of 1 inch brade to support each side of the zip. Cut the old zip out with a stanley knife,Contact (adhesive) each side where the zip is to go... The glue holds the brade and zip in place for sewing.(use HEAVY DUTY THREAD see below) Just a house hold sewing machine will do the job ! Where the handles had started to pull apart I just used Carpet Thread... As BOB said above! (You can pick this sort of thread up from Leather merchant or Canvas supplier about $5.00 for 200Meters.. Here) these I re-glued back into the sockets with Contact and then overstiched(by Hand) the areas. The bag has come up like BRAND NEW.... New Price $550.00 Aussie costs $65.00 including the cost of the bag.
    Give it a go !:)
  8. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Two suggestions: Luggage repair shops, and upholstry shops. Both have the heavy duty sewing machines needed to sew the material and experience with zippers.
  9. vanderbrook

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    As it turns out, I first contacted a company that makes boat covers (thanks, Bryce at H-A). They referred me to a shoe repair shop, which suggested a luggage repair outfit. That's where The Bag is tonight; tomorrow I'll pick it up, hopefully good-as-new, for the grand total of $20. Thanks everyone for all your thoughtful suggestions!