1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Padding down a mid driver

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowB-ing, Jul 28, 2012.

1. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    I have custom 212 + 6,5 + 1 enclosure with DeltaLite 2 woofers. The crossover is an off the shelf part that crosses the Woofers and mid at 875 Hz according to the maker of the cab. I don't know the make or model of the crossover, mid or tweet offhand, but could probably find out in a few weeks when the cabmaker is back from vacation.

I'm quite happy with the big, yet aggressive tone of this box in general, but I would like to be able to turn down the mid just slightly in some situations for a flatter response that would be more representative of what's going out of the heads D.I.

Is it possible to just wire in a resistor in series with the mid and it won't mess up the crossover frequencies? If so, what value of resistor should be used to achieve 3dB attenuation?

EDIT: The tweeter already has a variable pad.

I'm sure this info is available in one of the fEarful threads, but that is a lot of pages to search through, so please excuse me for being a little lazy.

2. I would contact the builder directly. They should have the best way to mod the cross over.

3. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    Well, there are some extremely knowledgeable people here whose input I would still love to hear on this.

Alex, LukeDeJune, anyone?

4. Right, but what you have asked is along the lines of, "I am going out to dinner, which seasonings should I add to my meal?"

We dont know anything about the cab, or the cross over specifically. Which mid driver is used? Is it ported?

If its an off the shelf cross over for the mids, I would say start from scratch.

5. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    Building a new crossover from scratch is not an option with this builder, nor is is something I will attempt on my own. I will only attempt to have the mod made if there seems to be a good chance of it working. Actually, the builder will most likely be very reluctant to attempt the mod unless I can reassure him there's a good chance of it working ;-)

I'll have the part names in time, but not right now as mentioned.

I thought the number of off the shelf 875Hz crossovers that work well with a 4ohm woofer load was limited enough that someone would know the part.

I guess I was hoping for answers along the lines of:
    -Nope, the x-over will go haywire with that resistor on the mid driver

or

-It's usually no problem if you're just going for -3dB and not more.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    A single resistor inline will change the crossover response in ways no one can predict without more information. You do need to provide some more specifics for the best results, but for starters you could try a generic fixed L-pad after the midrange crossover section. There are many online calculators, like so. Then you will need to figure out power dissipation in the L-pad network. 3dB is more or less an equal split between the driver and the L-pad, but in practice one can often get by with a bit less than that. Studying the fEARful crossovers wouldn't hurt...;)

Just using a little EQ to get where you need to be is often cheaper, easier, and quite possibly better sounding than DIY solutions when you're not really sure how to best implement them and willing to throw money at figuring that out. I'm a poster child for the throwing money approach though!

7. Who is the builder?

Generally off the shelf cross overs are lacking, imho.