1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pads underneath Jazz Bass pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kevinh, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Kevinh

Kevinh

Jul 25, 2007
    What exactly are the pads underneath jazz bass pickups (MIM if it matters)? How are they connected to the body of the guitar? I'm assuming it just replaces the springs on other pickups... I am about to shield my bass and I was wondering how to remove the pads and how to replace them once the guitar is shielded. Thanks! :cool:

2. They are just foam instead of springs.

Ive never had an MIM Jazz, but in all of the basses ive got, the foam isnt glued in or anything, so you just take it out. Im guessing this isnt the case here?

3. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    They are in there to provide a some upward pressure on the pups so the height can be adjusted. The foam stuff in the MIM basses are sticky on one side (like tape). Just pull/peel them out and stick them back in after the shielding job.

4. Kevinh

Kevinh

Jul 25, 2007
    Thanks for the answers guys. I was pretty sure on the subject but being the noob I am on my instrument I wanted to make sure. :cool:

5. bkief1

bkief1

Dec 25, 2005
    I found cutting up an old mouse pad worked great for supports under the Jazz Bass pickups I installed in my Geddy Lee

6. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    i use springs (size of a bic pen's) purchased from the local hardware store. work much better than any foam. one for each screw.

7. +1 for springs.

Or medical tubing, that works well too :)

8. I use a combo of both in my MIM. You can use the springs from Bic pens as mentioned. You will have to cut them a little.

9. J.P.

J.P.

Aug 9, 2006
    +1