Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paesold basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Danny Adair, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Hello all,

Has anyone heard of or played Roderich (sic?) Paesold basses? I noticed the slightly odd sight of Lee Sklar wielding one of these DB's in a full-page ad in the most recent Bass Player.

Obviously, glossy ads in Bass Player don't make great basses but I am curious to learn more about these. If interested, one can find more information on the Boosey & Hawkes website: www.boosey.com.

As always, thanks for the input.

2. I don't recall seeing a price list on the website, and my guess is that Boosey & Hawkes is the distributor.

Purty pitchurs...big fiddles.... Bubba happy....

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Yes, it is Boosey & Hawkes.

4. Boosey has subsidiaries all over the place. Their main headquarters is in England, but their U.S. distributor is based in California.

John Leitham (excellent left-handed player, formerly with Mel Torme) plays Paesold and is a artist/clinician for Boosey.

Tidbit: I don't know if he goes by the name "John" anymore, what with the gender reassignment and all.

5. WHOA THERE, 'LIL PARTNER/MISSY

I realize it's none of my business, but could you possibly expand on that little tidbit, please? :confused:

6. First of all, I want to say that I had the pleasure of meeting John Leitham at NAMM 2001, and that he was super nice and shared his knowledge about the bass and jazz with me generously.

I didn’t go to this year’s NAMM show, but I spoke to several people who went, and they reported that could help noticing that John now appears to be, well, a woman.

That’s as far as my knowledge goes. I don’t know if he’s undergone complete gender reassignment surgery or not. But by all accounts, the transformation has not affected Leitham’s virtuosity on the bass in the least.

Sorry to sound gossipy. I wish the best for John (I don’t know his new name) and hope that he finds great happiness with his new “identity.”

MG

7. Now I feel bad for sounding so incredibly catty. I do hope his/her new life is rewarding!

At least the DB has another badly needed female virtuoso!

8. bootsaco

bootsaco

Sep 8, 2001
    Portland, ME
    i bought a paesold bass from volker nahrmann in bellerica, MA back in february. i have no complaints at all about it. very well made, big sound, and on the small side(good for me, i'm 5'5"). i'm a jazz player who plays classical on the side, and it totally meets all my needs.

andy

9. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I have that Mel Torme cd and John Leitham is an amazing player. Is this gender reassignment thing really true? He's on the Raezer's Edge speaker website and he's definitely a man there. Either way he burns.

10. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    I have a 1974 Paesold 3/4 ply bass and I'm very happy with it. Lovely sound, nice to play, a bit rough round the edges, well used (not by me!).

Can't find out anything about older Paesolds except whats on the B&H website mentioned, and that's only what B&H tells, they bought Paesold in the early '80s I think. Mention Paesold here and "student bass" is the only comment I have heard, so I guess they were sold in large-ish numbers to schools back then.

11. Hey i just bought a Paesold via ebay, my first DB. Looks and sounds great. Don't know if it any good though but i think its better than the Thomann i was going to buy.

12. I believe Paesold production was moved from Germany to China in about 1996. They build basses under the A. Schroetter label, and Hofner names as well. (perhaps others)

Had a Schroetter on a rental for a month (3/4 hybrid) and liked it very much, but didn't purchase only due to shipping damage it had received. On appearance, one would swear they were a Christopher with plainer wood. (no flaming )

As I could not be guaranteed a delivery time on a replacement (they were talking months), I opted to pay the extra for a Christopher hybrid (having more money, or credit than brains), after having played Damon Rondeau's delightful Chris from the same luthier.

I would have bought one, and still believe construction is decent on these.

13. Blaine

Blaine

Aug 4, 2001
    new york area
    John changed her name to Jennifer, a few years ago I believe.

14. Gee could we try and stay on track guys/gals. Info on Paesold very much apprecaited.

15. NO....I wanna talk about Jennifer!

16. Back to Jennifer in a minute....
    Check this site.....www.steveswanguitars/bass.html
    I found this site looking for Paesold basses. There are some interesting things, plus some Paesold basses down toward the bottom. I had no idea that Paesolds were in this price ball park.
    Turns out I have a live CD that someone burned for me just on the strength of John/Jennifers playing. I think this was done when it was John. An old friend of mine, Pete Christlieb from the old Tonight Show Band is playing tenor on this live perfomance. The bass is a bit hot in the mix, but with two tenors and Joe LaBarbara on drums in a live situation, ain't much choice. Anyway, as abaguer says, either way!

17. Thanks for the input, however is the link correct as i could'nt get it to work :confused:

18. My Paesold also has A Schroetter written inside it, so maybe this was a line he was working on, found a link-

http://www.djmmusic.com/items.asp?CartId={B8134E60-D7EE-4FFA-AD34-958A5EVERESTAADF89E}&Bc=Schroetter

Apparently its a solid carved top, with ebony fittings. I guess as the top is solid the tone can only get better. I do recall reading a thread in a classical guitar forum, which talked about the famous luthier Ramirez (the one who made Segovia's Guitars) who made a guitar with paper mache back and sides to proove a point to some of his friends about the importance of a solid top which produces the bulk of the tone of an instrument. So i figure as the back and sides are laminate on most guitars it does'nt really matter on basses too.

19. T.C, Try that link this way....www.steveswanguitars.com Should work! The back needs to be solid because of the vibration of the top, that needs to travel to the back via the sound post. The back should vibrate as freely as possible. The ribs are a somewhat different story. Many Italian basses have laminate ribs. My Bohmann has laminate ribs.
    It's a little different comparing a guitar to the DB. Just the way a guitar is held doesn't give the back a hell of alot of a chance for the back to vibrate freely. I'm certainly not saying the guitars back isn't any big deal like you seem to be saying.
    Interesting though, the story about Ramirez !
    I've known some Anton Schroetter basses, they seemed ok for the price they were running. This was about ten years ago. I remember a full size one, 4/4, that was exceptional and for a huge bass, 44" mensure, it was pretty damn light in weight.