Page wants more music vol.XXVIII

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Ok , now Im looking for some bluesy or rootsy or jazzy oriented singer songwriter types. I think Joe Jackson fits into that category .I know Neil Young does and already love his work before anybody suggests. Im thinking maybe J.J. Cale and that Iron & Wine dude too but Im not sure . If anybody can suggest anything I'd be much obliged . Thanks and I hope I was specific enough on what I want.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Joe Jackson and Neil Young are pretty opposite each other... well not opposite, but not the same. Hmm well... I'm sure you know about him, but I always associate Joe Jackson with Elvis Costello for some reason, he's awesome. Another obvious... Ben Folds. Hmm, it's hard to figure out exactly what you are looking for...

This is straight up Blues, but Son House is my favorite Blues singer/songwriter.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Check out Iron and Wine (Sam Beam), I think you'd dig it.

Steven Von Till, probably fits the bill. He is the singer of Neurosis, but his solo stuff is Tom Waits/Mark Lanagen + low tempo acoustic folk.

Maybe the John Butler Trio. Neo-folk + Light Jam + Singer-songwriter. Blah blah blah.

4. What Im looking for is like a singer songwriter or perhaps a band that has like got that singer song writer style to them with like perhaps a bluesy feel, or like something real country or rootsy like Young or like a real jazz kinda feel going on ( I had heard that Joe Jackson was like this) . If that makes more sense :D

Son House is a good example though, but I already dig him!
  5. Im pretty sure Bobby Whitlock would fit into this category but I've never heard his solo stuff outside Derek and the Dominos. Any suggestions?
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm pretty sure we are related. :bassist:
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I thought the same thing, but then I saw that one picture and decided that Steven would never be related to someone from the Middle Ages.
  8. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I've been quite interested in his stuff, how does his solo work stand up?
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Merle Haggard, him and Johnny Cash are the two country singers I really really dig.

Have you checked out the blues greats?

Howlin' Wolf
    Muddy Waters
    Blind Willie McTell
    Mississippi John Hurt
    Blind Willie Johnson
    and Blind Blake, who's an incredible guitarist, though not much of a singer.
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dig it, tell me what you think. Link

Page: I think you'd like Boxharp, singer is reminiscent of Dwight Yoakem. Check him out. Link

There are many good artists to be found on that site.
  11. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Ooh, cool. I'm really enjoying listening to them actually - very gloomy and atmospheric :)

I'll be picking up one of his CDs at some point then.
  12. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    You want jazzy singer-songwriters? Check out Joni Mitchell. I like the albums 'Blue', 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns' and 'Hejira'.
  13. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Steve Forbert?
    Rodney Crowell?
    Robert Earl Keen?

Any of those hit the mark?