Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paging Bob Lees! QSC PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Look what I found rolling around inside my PLX2402 during it's semi-annual maintenance check.

Exactly how important is that part? The amp sounded great last night, all night. It's probably been off the board for a while now so..I'm wondering if I can continue to use this while I get a replacement cap.

No gripe about the amp, I'm kind of impressed that it keeps on ticking. Just want to know if I have to take a back-up to the office.

Any help in sourcing that part would be greatly appreciated as well.

2. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    weird.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Not really. That amp works long and hard. Vibration, metal fatigue, heat, it all takes it's toll.

There's well over 800 four hour gigs on that amp and it's never given me a bit of problem. Heck, it's STILL not giving me any problem.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This should be turned into a commercial, or a print ad. :D

-Mike

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That would be a capacitor...

I hear some are in there for decoration ;)

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Finally managed to dig that part out of the internet. A whopping $1.60

I'd still like to know how much stress I'm putting on that thing running it with a missing cap.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Just how many of 'em are there, anyway?

:D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's one of the secondary reservoir caps. Those are the caps that smooth out the 220 kHz ripple on the supply rails. You should replace it.

Yours is probably one of the older PLX amps made before our production line started putting a dab of hot glue between the caps where they touch (well, almost touch) each other. The hot glue helps secure them through mutual support (kind of like TB!), so they're less likely to break off like yours did.

After you or a technician replace the cap, put some dabs of hot glue on to secure all the caps together, including the large blue ones that form the primary reservoir. If you don't have a hot glue gun, you can use some RTV silicone adhesive, but it doesn't cure and harden as quickly.

9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Woo Hoo!

Bob to the rescue!

[​IMG]

:D

Joe.

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Thanks Bob. I need an excuse to play with the glue gun.

Just goes to show you, a good dog can loose a couple of teeth and still bite

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm tellin' ya, this needs to be a print ad somewhere. This is better than the Timex commercials, or the Samsonite ones.

-Mike

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    E-mail me your name, address, and phone number, and I'll get one sent out to you for free.