Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paging John Turner...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, Sep 23, 2000.

1. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I saw this just a few minutes ago. John just bought a bass, so maybe one of us have a shot at this one. :D

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i only dig the custom models, made in missouri, by bill conklin his bad self. the one i just got was serial # 6. that goes with #16 i had, along with all the others.

:D

[Edited by john turner on 09-23-2000 at 11:34 PM]

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

4. Ya know, SOMETHING has to be wrong with the first one. The guy only wants $100 for it. Since, y'know, it's around $1600-$1800 list in stores, there HAS to be something wrong. I bid on it anyway.:D (It's the only one I can afford.)

Rock on
    Eric

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    That is just his opening bid. We don't know what his reserve price is...:)

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, the biggest difference is how they are made. the groove tools basses are all based on handmade models that bill made and then sent to the westheimer factory for them to reproduce by a machine. every groove tools instrument is going to be identical, except for quality of wood and color.

every custom instrument is different. bill carves every neck completely by hand, every body, and the hardware is better, as are the electronics, and the wood is always top notch - the best he can get. furthermore, there are many options available for custom instruments - it's probably safe to assume that bill has never made the same bass twice in the custom shop. you can specify anything on the custom instruments, like string spacing, fanned/parallel frets, lined or unlined fretless, piezos, synth, anykind of pickups. this is just not available on the groove tools.

furthermore, he's changed the body style over the years - he doesn't make the body the same way now, the lower horn isn't as long, and the body is a bit smaller all around. i like the new body, but i prefer the older style.

that's not to say that he won't make the older body style - shoot, he will make any style body you like, really anything - he can make some pretty bizarre body styles. but unless you specify, he will use whatever the current sidewinder style is.

i think he stopped numbering around the first 30 or so. my first one was #16, and then, less than a year later, i got my first fretted 7 from him, and he had stopped numbering by then. he has probably made ~400 custom 7 strings, so getting a numbered one is special, to those that care, like me :D. i should ask him when he stopped numbering.

7. I..... Want..... A..... New...... BASS!!!!!

Can´t..... Close..... Ebay..... Site.....

:D :D :D

WOW!!!! nice bass!