Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

paging Mr Strange, mesa 1x15-1x10-2x6-tweet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Hey everyone I just traded 2-1x15 cabs for this cab it has 1 15" 1 10" and 2 6" speakers in it. All mounted in a road case. It is an incredible sounding cab. I was wondering what model it is... also there is a 3 way toggle switch in it... in the middle it seems to turn the tweeter off and up and down it seems to be on.. is this right ? if it is why is it a 3 way switch if up and down are the same? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Damn you! This is the cab I'm looking for. That's a 1516b cab. Those are some of my fav cabs, if not THE fav cab. The 15 is an EV, the 6s are JBLs, and the 10 could be either a Eden or an EV (the EV was an option at the time, which would make it a 1516be). I love those things, and will score one as soon as I can find a RR version in my area for the right price.

The switch is for the horn. It should have settings for full, half, and off. Off is best. ;)

Mind selling it to me when you're done with it?

3. well the store I bought it in was asking $400 for it but I traded 2 1-15B for it. I think I got a made out alright. They got it in last weds and I went in and the owner showed it to me the next day. I asked him howmuch and he told me it was sold. I then told him that if the deal fell through to call me and today he called. I was kicking myself for the last week that I didnt go in 1 day earlier but it all worked out. Also whoever had it before installed wheels to tilt it back on and a handle to tilt it back. Not original but a welcome mod.

PS I wouldnt mind selling you it when I am done with it but I have a feeling you may have to outlive me for that to happen lol

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    allright? allright????
    this is probably the ONE cabinet that would have me trucking around a too-big cabinet.
    many moons ago, when i was shopping for cabs i went to look at an swr goliath 2. the guy was selling because he picked one up as a smaller option to his mesa cab. no dice. we played the 2 side by side. eek. wow, that cab rocks.

5. ok well I am giddy as a school girl so it is better then alright lol. I am really anxious for tomorrow when I can really give it a go with my 6 string through it. Now I am just want to find a Mesa 400+ to sit on top of it.

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've come across these that I've almost bought several times. None of them were RR, though. Heck, at the GC in New Orleans that I was managing, we had TWO used ones, but vinyl covered. I could have scored those cheap, cheap, cheap. But no. I let them go, only to keep looking for the RR version. Someday, friends, someday.

And when I find one, I'll still have to find a RR Powerhouse Jr., which is even rarer.

7. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    AND it's a RoadReady Cabinet!!! :eek:

That's got "Benjamin Strange" written all over it!!! :bassist:

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've been watching that one. I'm a bit concerned that it's been "used by proffesionals on tour" - makes me think that it will need a reconing. I've seen cabs come back from big tours, and those speakers get really floppy.

Also, I don't have a car, so getting it here from LA might be tough.

9. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    let's show somepics of mesa 1516 !

I own the diesel series but made myself the RR serie, no comment.

[​IMG]

10. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    what are you using for an amp to power this cabinet?!! ive seen that amp with the same cab before jsut curious what it is and how much it runs for

11. That amp is a mesa Boogie M-2000 I believe. I am curious as to how that amp sounds. I have been looking online at that amp and the 400 or 400+ to put with my 1516 but unfortanatly I cant find any of them to demo.

12. Yes, it is.

13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

When I got mine, I cleaned the port shelves. It sound way better afterwards. :smug:

14. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    what is the line 6 your using. ive seen it used before but just curious what model it is and what its purpose is

15. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    how many ohms are these cabs?

16. They are 4 ohm cabs rated at 500 watts I believe. I have heard alot of discrepancuy on the power handling though.

17. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'm using a Line6 Bass Pod Pro as multi effects and tuner. I also combine some modeling amp to the Mesa signal such as vintage ampeg but my favorite model of amp is by far the ACOUSTIC 360. The TubePreamp model doesn't affect my signal so I use it to have the mesa sound. I run the PodPro in the effect loop of the Mesa.

400 Watts @ 4 ohms.

:meh: I should try. :D

18. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    How much does the line 6 pod go for? is it worth it?!

Im currently using a Peavy Mark IV XP to power this fine 1516. now the question is, is this good enough, or should i get a different amp and what would u recommend. I play shows frequently and i am going on tour in the next couple of months

19. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I cannot answer to your question, it's a question of tone preferance.

I like my pod cauz it's the first decent preamp I got. I'll never forget how tone sounded amazing to me. And still does !

I don't use its huge tone possibilities. I even do dubble use with my amp cauz i have several channels at the foot. But I like it.

If you like your peavey, keep it. If you don't find what you look for with it. Try several other amp.