Paging Nino-Brown, Nino-Brown to Isle 4...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chaoslord, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Hey Nino, being the resident Spector owner I was wondering if you could help me out. I'm looking to possibly do a Spector clone via DP Custom (if he'll do it) but I don't have the measurements for it. Is there anyway you could possibly take some pictures of one of your basses next to a tape measure at each relavent side so I could be sure to get the scaling right on the body ? Thanks alot.

If you don't want to post them you can email them to me at
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    4 string or 5 string? I'll see waht I can do.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I doubt he will. You want a Spector? Buy a Spector. You want a design all of your own, that will sound close to a Spector? Maple body, EMG pickups... start sketching.
  4. Nino, 5 string please. Thanks alot.

That's a fair enough suggestion and I'm well aware of what the spectors are made out of. However the Chezk (dammit that can't be spelled right, I'm having a horrible day with that today :-D) start at $1299 in the US, and the US made can go for $3500 easy. Where as DP's base prices start at $500 acording to his site. I know I can get a Chezk from MF right now for $799 but I wouldn't even consider buying a black instrument. Just not my thing I find it boring.

Also I am going maple through maple but I want a different top, possibly Claro walnut. I also prefer maple or ebony fingerboards which aren't available.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I'm just afraid that Dave P would have legal problems with copying Ned Steinberger's design, I believe it might still be copyrighted or something.

Also, a nice (non-black! :D) Czech Spector wouldn't cost that much more than a similar-looking DP; I think the body carving would add up some $$$, along with the electronics, an ebony fretboard (which I believe the NSxCR have? I think it's still available but harder to get = more expensive.) and the MOP crown inlays.

BTW, I agree, black basses ARE boring! :)
  6. If Dave does refuse to do it than I will think about changing my design to something he will do. But I figure it is at least worth giving it a shot.

As far as the cost is concerened I don't think the DP will get nearly as high as $1300, however if it does I will take that into consideration. I probably won't do all of the carvingof the Spector, just the basic shape of it. As for the copyright, I know Warwick has gotten fairly close (streamer I believe) so I would assume it's a bit lax.

The Czech Spectors (NSxCR, as you know) have a rosewood board with the crown inlays.
  7. Oi! All my basses are black!
    Well...true, they only had these models in black, but that's beside the point... :D:p
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    What's your point? So are mine! Well, black and charcoal gray, which looks like black if you don't have a spotlight on it. All our basses are belong to black!