Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paging Nino-Brown, Nino-Brown to Isle 4...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chaoslord, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Hey Nino, being the resident Spector owner I was wondering if you could help me out. I'm looking to possibly do a Spector clone via DP Custom (if he'll do it) but I don't have the measurements for it. Is there anyway you could possibly take some pictures of one of your basses next to a tape measure at each relavent side so I could be sure to get the scaling right on the body ? Thanks alot.

If you don't want to post them you can email them to me at chaoslord@dgcreations.net

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    4 string or 5 string? I'll see waht I can do.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I doubt he will. You want a Spector? Buy a Spector. You want a design all of your own, that will sound close to a Spector? Maple body, EMG pickups... start sketching.

4. Nino, 5 string please. Thanks alot.

Oysterman:

That's a fair enough suggestion and I'm well aware of what the spectors are made out of. However the Chezk (dammit that can't be spelled right, I'm having a horrible day with that today :-D) start at $1299 in the US, and the US made can go for $3500 easy. Where as DP's base prices start at $500 acording to his site. I know I can get a Chezk from MF right now for $799 but I wouldn't even consider buying a black instrument. Just not my thing I find it boring.

Also I am going maple through maple but I want a different top, possibly Claro walnut. I also prefer maple or ebony fingerboards which aren't available.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I'm just afraid that Dave P would have legal problems with copying Ned Steinberger's design, I believe it might still be copyrighted or something.

Also, a nice (non-black! :D) Czech Spector wouldn't cost that much more than a similar-looking DP; I think the body carving would add up some $$$, along with the electronics, an ebony fretboard (which I believe the NSxCR have? I think it's still available but harder to get = more expensive.) and the MOP crown inlays.

BTW, I agree, black basses ARE boring! :)

6. If Dave does refuse to do it than I will think about changing my design to something he will do. But I figure it is at least worth giving it a shot.

As far as the cost is concerened I don't think the DP will get nearly as high as $1300, however if it does I will take that into consideration. I probably won't do all of the carvingof the Spector, just the basic shape of it. As for the copyright, I know Warwick has gotten fairly close (streamer I believe) so I would assume it's a bit lax.

The Czech Spectors (NSxCR, as you know) have a rosewood board with the crown inlays.

7. Oi! All my basses are black!
    Well...true, they only had these models in black, but that's beside the point... :D:p

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    What's your point? So are mine! Well, black and charcoal gray, which looks like black if you don't have a spotlight on it. All our basses are belong to black!
    Crap.