Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paging Sadowsky Players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I'm curious as to who plays a Sadowsky precision style bass out there. We always see the jazz style and read the most about'em but rarely hear anything from the precision camp. How do they stack up? Has anyone A/B tested?

I know you guys are out there, help me out :smug:

2. Hey man,

I have a Sadowsky P, the coral pink one on the website (It's the first one on the Ultra Vintage P section in the Bass Archives). I have owned it for almost 2 years now... picked it up at the shop after trying a LOT of P-basses in the city...
    I was hesitant to drop that kind of $$$ on a P-bass, but after playing it, there was really not an option! It's pretty much the BADDIST P-bass... unbelivable playability, super responsive, and a really rich, deep, STRONG P-bass tone. Long, nice sustain. I play it through an Epifani 502 head, and Epi speakers, with Sadowsky nickles... Gets a clean, Anthony Jacksonesqe tone mixed with a traditional P (Of couse this is subjective, this is what I hear)
    I honestly have never played a Sadowsky J or Modern style bass, so I can't compare it. I have been on several tours/recordings with it, and in all honesty, it still gets me really excited everytime I pick it up...

3. This one?

[​IMG]

Got any soundclips?

4. Yea, thats the one!

I recently set up a myspace page...

www.myspace.com/darrenlipper

I am going to get clips with bands, and some solo stuff up in the next couple of days, all on this bass...

Peace,
    Darren

5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Cool bass! Can't wait to hear those clips. BTW, I noticed that the fretboard is rounded at the end (just beyond the 20th fret) versus the usual straight end that one usually sees on the Sad J-style instruments. Kinda different.

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Nevermind. I just checked out the Sadowsky web site. It looks like all of the 20-fret basses (P and J) have the rounded board.

7. That's a beautiful bass man, can't wait to hear it.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have tried a few of the P5 basses in the Sadowsky Shop and they had tons of attitude.:bassist:

9. That was actually what I was wondering, Maj. Do they have that same growl like P's? Basically, can I play a Sad P in a really heavy environment?

10. MAJOR METAL

You will be rockin hard and cuting through with this bass. :bassist:

11. Thanks! I'll take a train ride down to the Sad HQ and try one out in the near future.

12. MAJOR METAL

Go For It ! :bassist:

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003

14. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    A Sadowsky P is in my wishlist after the bass that I have on order now.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have an alder/maple P5. I absolutely love it. It's light weight, and plays wonderfully. With the Sadowsky electronics (active treble, active bass, passive treble) I can get a nice array of tones from it. Response is amazingly focused and tight: it sounds great on those few occasions when I slap, even though there's no J pickup.

Compared to Fender, the Sadowsky tone is brighter and tighter even in passive mode... more 'modern', so to speak. Yes, (most) Sadowsky basses look very Fendery, but that's the signature Sadowsky tone, IMO -- whereas the average Fender has more warmth and midrange chunkiness. That's why I'll always keep a Fender in my stable in addition to Sadowsky... I enjoy both flavors. Tone aside, the Sadowsky is superior in terms of fit and finish, no question about it.

16. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    and superior in terms of the way it sounds when Ken plays it.

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Ive never owned a straight P but have had two PJ's. Ive tried many p's at the shop. Smokin'

Rob