Pahoehoe tip

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eli, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Tying a knot in the tuner end of these strings can be tricky; put under tension, the knot seems to want to slide down to the end of the string and untie itself.

I found that roughing up the surface of the string by pulling it through a folded piece of 320-grit sandpaper a few times (rotating to get the whole surface -- only at the knot area, of course!) makes the knot hold super steady.

I have them on an Ashbory, FWIW.

Qlanq and HaphAsSard like this.
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Why are you tying a knot in them?
    I've had a set on my solid body Ubass for years with no knot needed.

3. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The Ashbory pegs have a big slot that won't hold the string from slipping out.

4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

No hole in the center of the slot?
    Like regular bass tuners?

5. KohanMike

KohanMike Gold Supporting Member

The E Pahoehoe string is so fat I can't fit it in the hole in my tuners. They certainly are a big effort to string up, especially because they stretch so much and have to be restrung and cut off at least once after a while. I do the "twist back" procedure Kala shows online. Maybe I'll try the knot you describe.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  6. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    My Ashbory's tuners don't have the hole down the middle. The slot is the same width in all of them (it is from the Guild era) and holds the fat E string without a knot. The other 3 all need the knot.

7. I switched to Aquila Rumblers and Thundergut strings due to the issues I had with the originals. Glad I did.

8. KohanMike

KohanMike Gold Supporting Member

I find the Thunderguts to be too sticky and will dent (sausage) where they hit the frets.

9. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    How would you describe the difference(s) (feel and sound) between the stock Kala strings and the Rumblers and Thunderguts you mention?

To me, the Pahoehoes feel good but the attack is a little too immediate.

I really like the much slower-to-bloom sound of the original Ashbory strings which is much more upright-like, but the G strings seem to break frequently. And thy are really sticky.

10. Gigmaster

Gigmaster

Nov 7, 2017
    I just put a set of Pahoehoe's on my Ashbury. It's a little tricky getting them to stay on, but I came up with a way. I stretched the string very tight, put it through the slot, then threw a loop over the top of the string, and wound it down. It's sort of like a half-hitch for tying flies (I tie flies for fly fishing...). The low E stayed on with just wraps, so it doesn't seem to be a problem. Oh, and I sanded the ends of all the strings with 420 grit sandpaper before installing. I'll know soon if it is a permanent fix. They feel great.