1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pain/Burn in right arm while playing continiously fast notes.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mokujin5757, Jan 23, 2018.

1. mokujin5757

mokujin5757

Jan 23, 2018
    Hello musician friends , I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum . I have been playing bass guitar about 2 years . I have really made a lot of progress .I practice mostly everyday but not so disciplined tho .O just play the musics that I like (also know ) for about 1 hour.I certainly developed my fingers too . But I have one problem . When I play orion (musics like that too) I feel pain/burn in my right arm . I can see that my arm is not powerful enough to handle this . So how can I be more powerful on this situation . What should I do

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Welcome to TB!

Where exactly do you feel the pain/burn?

3. mokujin5757

mokujin5757

Jan 23, 2018
    Upper side of my forearm .

4. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Try relaxing your arm more instead of stiffening it when you are playing.

You can also shake your arm out and massage it to relieve some pain.

Try drinking more water.

5. nolezmaj

nolezmaj Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I suggest taking it easy for a couple of days and using anti-inflamatory cream. When you get back to practising, stop as soon as you feel discomfort. It takes time to build up strenght and speed and you can't rush it.
    If pain doesn't go away, you should see doctor and/or physiotherapist.

red_rhino and FantasticFour like this.
  6. mokujin5757

mokujin5757

Jan 23, 2018
    I drink a lot of water in a day , around 3lt . But I really don't try to relax . That should be my problem . Thanks for advise .

7. mokujin5757

mokujin5757

Jan 23, 2018
    Burn doesn't happen when I normally play . But it certainly happen when I try to play orion .Maybe it could be my technique too .

8. As long as the burning is solely in the muscles, it sounds like the normal result of exercising muscles more than they're used to or prepared for. The muscle starts running low on oxygen, and lactic acid builds up, causing a burning sensation from... well, being burned by acid. That's assuming the pain is limited to your muscles, and it goes away within a few minutes after you stop.

If that's the case, I would recommend taking a break for 5-15 minutes when the burning starts. Also, make sure you go at least 1 day a week without so much as picking up your bass, so your muscles can recover better.

9. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Try using a pick.

moody and Member8675309 like this.
  10. That definitely sounds like a relaxation and conditioning issue to me. Playing without proper relaxation will cause your muscles to run low on oxygen much faster. It's sort of like trying to sing without proper breathing.

Oleg BassPlayer and red_rhino like this.
  11. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Welcome. As suggested above, you may be trying too do too much too quickly.
    As somebody famous once said ... Slow and Steady wins the race.

JRA likes this.
  12. When I experience discomfort, I usually slow down on the tempo and let the muscle adjust. Basicly if pain singles the brain, it's saying slow down. Patience and time builds the muscles to play comfortably.

JRA likes this.
  13. Also, when you're muscles are worn out, you're technique tends to suffer. Even if you can power through it, you're likely to develop bad habits along the way. Learning to do it right the first time is still faster than learning to do it wrong, but very fast, and then having to go back and re-learn it with proper technique.

JRA likes this.
  14. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    It is your muscle telling you ENOUGH, BACK OFF A LITTLE!

james condino likes this.
  15. Skeptismo

Skeptismo

Sep 5, 2011
    Washington
    That particular song has a really punchy sound with a fair amount of string clank. Since Cliff was (at least predominantly) a fingerstyle player, I'm guessing he was plucking the strings pretty aggressively with low action.

Unless you are in a tribute band or something, there is no need to go about getting that tone exactly the way he did. I'm with Stumbo on this one, use a pick for now. As you A. heal from your potential injury, or B. condition your muscles to the task, (or both I suppose), you'll be able to play the songs you love.

16. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Stretch the muscles on the top of your forearm before and after you play. Stretch slowly and hold to a count of 10 to 15 seconds. Like this: Tennis+elbow+stretch+one.

If you can work in another round of stretches during the day, all the better.

If it starts to hurt while playing, stop and stretch. Allow some time for blood to get into your muscles and transport the lactic acid out. (that's what is probably causing the burning sensation).

Skybone, Loring and Rich Fiscus like this.
  17. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    its totally lactic acid build up...
    One - lighten your attack You play hard and fast the twitch muscles will burn quicker...
    Two - drink a glass of milk 30 minutes prior - this releases enzymes that process lactose and lactic acid (I read this on some running forum YMMV)
    Three - keep working it till the burn - take a break and get back at it. Your body will increase the capillaries in the area until it doesn't bug you anymore. I'm playing Iron Maiden all the time and I do almost all of it with 2 fingers though many people use three (particularly his triplets). It will come and you forearms will get bigger - just not much stronger...

If this ceases to be muscle burn and starts to feel like any kind of tendon inflammation - back right off. You don't want to develop any kind of tendinitis.

Member8675309 likes this.
  18. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    You can get clank easily with light strings and minimal effort - change the angle of attack from your fingers to strike more downwards instead of across. Works the opposite way also if you're trying to get rid of clank change up the angle of attack.

If you are a picker - Newstead played it all with a pick :vomit: lol

19. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    Try stretching before you play, and then warming up with some various scales, patterns, picking hand excercises, etc.

20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My breakthrough came from a conscious effort to relax my right hand/arm. Not because of fatigue, but because i tended to dig in too much when trying to play fast. I still catch myself in a kungfu death grip with my right hand, but not as often and once i realize it i just quit doing it.

Loring and mohrds like this.