Pain in Fretting hand/fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BCinU, Jun 28, 2004.

1. BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    Anyone else experience this problem? Some have told me I'm fretting too hard. Others say I need more practice to build up strength.

My hands are quite strong, but I still experience cramping in the hand, and tendinitis in my fingers (especially my index finger).

Any comments or commiserations? :D
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Where are you wearing your bass? If you have it hanging low that could add pressure to your wrist and cause pain as well. If you can post more information about how you hold your bass, how you wear it and the way you fret the bass I think you will get some very good answers here. Heck, if you have a picture of you playing the bass that would also help.

3. ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    stretch your fingers and wrists before playing. Also make sure you don't put your thumb flat against the neck and put it with the tip against instead. its hard to do that if you don't already do that but it helped me with the exact same problems you are having.
  4. BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    Thanks for the tips, guys. :cool:
  5. Remember that your pinky finger and index finger share the same ligament, if you stretch to much you can cause damage when you are playing. The term no pain no gain isn't true in this case.

Learn proepr fingering technique and pivot your hand correct while moving up and down the neck, you shouldn't have that type of pain when palying.........technique is key!

PM me and I'll send you a word doc.on this subject if you are interested in learning the proper technique!

6. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    It takes years and years to get rid of this problem. Hell, some even experience it throught their whole dang careers, they just play throught the pain, tough suckas.

Ha, kidding. :) Just excersise your fretting hand by practicing. Lower your action, or keep it how it is, then just practice.

Also, lighter gauge strings would really help.
  7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    it could be you building up strength. don't wear it to low either, but you could also lower your action a lot, and user lighter guage strings.