1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pain in left wrist after longer sessions

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tegnoto89, Mar 11, 2009.

1. tegnoto89

tegnoto89

Dec 24, 2008
    Syracuse
    I recently switched from the "wrap around" thumb style on my fretting hand, to the more accepted position in which there's space between the neck and palm. So far it's working great.

However, after longer sessions, my left wrist is sore from being kinked at such an angle. Looking at it, the only way it wouldn't be kinked is if I had the strap so high that it was above my head (and I keep my strap pretty high as is). Does this go away? Should I do stretches for my wrist? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

2. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Definatly do some stretchs before you play. Massage your wrist a little before you play. Pull back on your hand slightly, push it forward a little bit.

Like that stuff. Its helped me alot! :)

3. jhan

jhan Guest

Try icing your wrist after you play as well. My ortho gave me that advice and it works pretty good.

4. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    The above advice is all good solid advice, but also remember you are positioning your hand in a new way. Your using your wrist muscles in a new way. It is natural for it to be sore.

5. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    +1 on the strech video

6. I personally use "Mineral Ice", and have for years... I ain't no spring chicken no mo, and I find more and more pains as time creeps up on me.