1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pain in My knuckles

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Duncorama, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Hello!
    A few weeks ago i woke up the day after band rehearsal and both my hands felt really tender, like i'd trapped them slightly in a car door.
    After a few days the pain calmed down and now the pain has gone in my right hand.
    I play right handed picking with my fingers by the way.
    But now, even if i've been playing for a very short ammount of time (10 mins) the knuckles on the index finger of my left (fretting) hand start to hurt again and it almost feels as if it is swallen even though it doesn't look like it is.
    Has anyone had any experience like this and has anyone got any idea for a remedy?

2. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Get a blood test and get to a doctor, hopefully you don't have arthritis or gout starting up :)

Soak your hands in hot water , sometimes that'll soothe the knuckles.

3. corradoc

corradoc

Dec 20, 2007
    New York City
    +1 to warm water. and warm up yor hands sowly for a while before playing. i sometimes have the same issue . usually works itself out.

4. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Cheers for the replies, yeah the warm water thing definately helps a lot.
    Is it normal for a 26 year old to get arthritis?

5. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    No. How long you been playing? Any sudden changes in your play schedule/habits/technique lately?

6. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    I noticed that I have a dull pain in the joint on my left middle finger if I bend it a bit. I figured it's either from my bass or guitar hero. For bass I use my middle finger to fret more than my other fingers, and for guitar hero there's the repeated pressing of buttons. It may be from repeated stress on the joint. I'm really not sure, but it makes the most sense. I haven't done anything about it though since it doesn't bother me that much.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Some of the same problems here. I have had pain or more like soreness in my left middle finger fretting hand since i pivot off that finger alot when fretting and in my first knuckles on my plucking hand. A TB'er here said to try an over the counter creme called Blue Emu and i did and so far it is helping along with Ibuprofen. I hope my new classic 50's P basses wide neck isnt the problem ...i love that bass to much but i cant play in pain.

8. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Not really, i play a Rickenbacker, have been for about 4 years. When i first got it i had a lot of aching in my left arm which i put down to having to get used to the thicker neck, the pain went after a while though.
    The band i'm in plays quite fast and we did 33 gigs in the last 6 months of last year culminating a 7 dates back to back on tour but it only started hurting a couple of weeks ago.
    Could that be anyhting to do with it?

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I started getting arthritis when I was 21. 42 now... just learn to work with the things you body tells you and adapt.

Weather changes are troubling. Cold is frustrating. Getting old sucks in general.

If you love doing something you'll find a way to continue doing it in some way, form or fashion.

10. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Every"body" is different...the knuckle pain just needs and xray to tell if its a bone/joint deal...dont self diagnose, dude...your fingers wont fall off...use an anti-inflammatory Motrin/advil until you can get a picture and solution. Take care of them.:bassist:

11. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Cheers! I'm going to the doctors next monday.

12. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    So, Dunc...hows the digits?

13. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Are you stretching your hands before you play? It may help.

14. jmestman

jmestman

Aug 2, 2010
    I have the exact same problem! Trying to figure out what to do about it. thanks for the suggestions fellow DB players. I'm gonna try the hot water pre-play and stretching.