Pain in my thumb

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mrpd, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Mrpd

Mrpd

Jul 25, 2009
    Brazil
    When i do 1-2-3-4 exercises or something like it, my thumb in the left hand hurts like hell in this position:

[​IMG]

What can i do? Is this lack of training?

2. ben_the_bass

ben_the_bass

Jul 12, 2005
    Rocklin
    does your bass have a small neck in comparison to your hand?

3. Mrpd

Mrpd

Jul 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Yes, why?

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    The Ibanez GSR180, which i believe you use has a narrow neck, so not really a problem i would guess. over use and miss use of the hands from day to day use is normaly the problem, playing bass may just highlight it.

check out

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=233492636

Your age, physical make up, diet etc so many things can cause you a problem without even having a bass to blame. See a medical professional for a proper check up and if it hurts change what you do in practice or stop till you sort it out.
    good luck

5. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Don't do that. Problem solved.

6. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Yeah...since no one bothered to ask, how do you hold the bass when you play? A pic would be best.

7. Mrpd

Mrpd

Jul 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Wat?

Pic:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help

8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Kinda looks like you apply a lot of pressure on the thumb, at least it looks like you have a hard time fretting those notes.

The angle of your thumb looks awkward, too... try more of an outward bend. Like if you were holding a styrofoam cup.

9. Mrpd

Mrpd

Jul 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Ouward bend... Like this?

[​IMG]

10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Yeah that's better, but it still looks like your fretting hand should be a bit more relaxed.

Anyway, are you having any problems with this new thumb position?

btw, what does your setup look like? What string gauge, how high is your action, etc? Maybe we can work on that, having lighter gauges and a lower action lowers the strength needed for fretting, which in turn lowers the tendency for cramping up...

11. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    That IS death grip. You don't want to have the tip of your thumb being the major point of contact between your hand and the neck. You want the pad of the thumb to be against the neck.

Also, from the first pic, I can se your thumb is WAY too tense. You need to relax it, and get it out of that angle.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021