Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pain in the back!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Webbo, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Webbo

Webbo

Feb 5, 2005
    Hi guys I'm new so i respect any suspicions you might have! :ninja:

Ok, well here goes nothing: :help: I've got a Peavey TNT 115 bass amp which is great EXCEPT for its ridiculous little handle considering the weight of the unit. Because of this problem it just sits in my room being heavy, and I have to use a little amp during band practice and it sounds totally rubbish as a result :mad: . So to save myself a hefty bill after I put my back out shifting the amp, I'm looking for a case with two side handles (wheels would be great too). Is it possible to buy something like this or would I be better off making one myself?

2. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    how 'bout installing some wheels under the amp? or you could put them on the back of the amp as close to the floor as possible so you can just tilt it back on its wheels and go? just make sure you don't hit anything with the screws while putting them in.

3. Webbo

Webbo

Feb 5, 2005
    Not a bad idea, though preferrably i'd rather not add stuff to the actual body of the amp. I was thinking something along the lines of a hard case cover? how do you guys move heavy equipment up/down stairs?

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I was in the same situtation. Moveing the TNT up and down the stairs was killing me. So I sold the TNT and bought a head and cab. Nothing heavier than 50 pounds. Solved my problem!

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    has anyone ever had a problem with cab/speaker damage when using castors? Not so much as knocking into things but due to the vibration through the castors through the cab and speakers... I'm thinking long term rolling it over uneven surfaces, gravel etc...

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not that i've ever heard of - you should see what a low b will do. honestly, i think the virations from being in transit inside a car would add up to more than being rolled on casters for a few seconds.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think the long term effects of low bass notes would cause more vibration damage than castors :D

9. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I make my wife do it. :eek:

Kidding, I hate it but have to haul my gear upstairs at 3-4am and it kills me. I got rid of my combo and use 2 Goliath Jr cabs but they still whip my but after a 4 hour gig. Guess I am getting old :meh:

10. tommytoughnuts

tommytoughnuts

Jan 26, 2005
    just bolt on some wheeels and handles. I do it all the time. :bassist: :D

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yes, and this is the only reason why I don't use a vintage SVT rig. :D

12. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    If you don't want to "violate" the cabinet, get a dolly board. I had a TNT 115 (I gave it to my 21 year old son 'cause I'm older and more affluent i.e. can afford lighter gear :D ). I used a nice duratuff-covered dolly board from Carvin ($29.99). Or you can customize your own. The weight of the amp and the carpet on the dolly board will keep it in place pretty well unless you hit major bumps, but I never had any serious mishaps. FWIW the dimensions of the Carvin dolly board are close to those of the TNT 115.