1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pain in the neck?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by owen_liam, Apr 18, 2010.

1. owen_liam

owen_liam

Jun 16, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Hello again. A while ago, I posted here about my bass having an accident (it was lying on its side and kicked over onto its bridge) and getting a crack on its back. That crack was repaired and the repair seems stable. However, there was a crack in the heel of the neck that the luthier pointed out at the time but didn't seem to worried about. It might be my imagination, but it seems to be getting bigger, although I cannot say definitively that it is! I've attached some pictures - do you guys think this could be a problem and worth carting the bass back to the luthier, or is this a pretty standard 'wear & tear' thing?

If there's one difference I'm finding between looking after EB and DB, it's that the scratches and scuffs I'd happily ignore on EB seem to be much more serious on a DB!

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. put a pin prick at the end off the split...see if it creeps over time.
    seal the split.
    it's a common prob. in all the violin family.
    you really can't do much more untill it's all the way through.
    it could be many years before it gets to that point..or it could be tonight.
    i wouldn't fret ;)
    just opinion.

3. owen_liam

owen_liam

Jun 16, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Thanks man! I like the pin prick idea...I shall monitor the situation.

I guess I'll know if it needs repairing when the neck falls off! I'll keep playing it til that happens!