1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pain in thumb (left this time...)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Murmaider, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Murmaider

Murmaider

Oct 20, 2013
    Messing around for a while in the Hungarian Minor Scale I start to feel pain in my thumb, it isn't like the sort of knuckle-pain I felt from anchoring my right thumb, this time it just aches, sort of like when you do squats or something.

Is my thumb getting stronger or am I doing something wrong? Its typically in the middle of the neck where its supposed to be. Should I figure out a way to not push on the neck so hard with it when I'm playing or will the pain eventually subside?

Thanks for the help you guys have been giving me, love the bass community already aha \m/

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Yes, that's exactly what you should do. :) You are pressing down too hard when you fret. Minimal pressure is required. Try pressing down WITHOUT the thumb on the neck for a couple of minutes. Press down gently until the note rings out clear. This will let you know the exact amount of pressure to apply. Do this on a regular basis until your fingers "get the message" as to how much pressure to apply.