painful strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Camel_spit, Dec 28, 2001.

1. I had been using the bass at my school (its a cort, never heard of them) and since I could only use it at weekends every time I played it I got blisters on my plucking fingers. Now its the holidays and I hadn't played for two weeks, then I picked up a different bass and played it for ages and my fingers are fine. Why is this? Are some strings more painful to play or what?
    p.s. I have no idea about different sorts of strings or what strings were on the basses in question.
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    roundwound strings, particularly stainless, can be hard on the fingers and the frets as well. Try some flatwound, groundwound or pressure wound strings. I only buy flat and pressurewound strings. If you really like rounds, just hang in there and don't overdo things, your fingers will callous and it won't be a problem. There are also coated rounds (Elixirs) that are easier on the fingers but they're not my cup of tea, YMMV.
  3. I personally love roundwound steel strings, and I'll never use anything else. The reason you probably found them painful is that the strings are likly to have been crappy factory ones made to a very poor quality.
  4. Strange as it may sound...blisters are good.. :)

You need callosity :) and blisters is one of the stages you must go thru to achieve it :)

so rock on dude ! don't be a wimp.. be proud of your blisters :D
  5. If you want calloses (hardening of the skin) with out as many blisters dip the tips in alcohol on a regular basis.
  6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Superglue (Krazy glue in the states?) on your fingertips works great for keeping off blisters.
    Oh..... just make sure it's dried first! :p
  7. No pain, no gain. period :D
  8. yeah, flea does that I think. Just dont pick your nose.
  9. lol, that could prove interesting. About the alcohol - I'm underage so asking for it would be a problem. I'm sure they'd believe me when I said 'I need it for my blisters!' :D yeah, sure.
    Thanks for the tips though.
  10. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    i was told when i first started to call my blisters "battle scars"
    now im proud of my very own battle scars!
  11. lol, when I say alcohol I mean surgical spirit, like from a chemist or pharmasist. not a litre of vodka. :D
  12. I suppose you could use vodka if ya really wanted. I just recommended metholated spirit coz it's cheaper. (dont drink it coz its cheaper though. It'll make you go blind.)
  13. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I remember I played vaguely 5 hours 4 times a week for about 3 weeks and my fingers were always killing me...I was quite proud, I had to tape my crap up and a buddy gave me a pick to use...they thought I was hardcore:cool: I even had to get them to open my coke cans and crap...hurt so good!