Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Painfull decision!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Splanky, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    I can´t beleve it! :bawl:

But then again. It´s just a matter of making up my mind……

Yesterday I drowe my colleague´s crazy again! Shouting and jumping up and down about a bass seen on the net.
    The much talked about CAR 75 Jazz-reissue. An absolute dream bass. Soo unbelevible sweet.

I´we been raving about Stingray´s, G&L 2000, Cirrus, Millenium+ and only God know´s what. But this one really shakes my foundation´s.

It´s actually avalible here in Sweden for a huge amount of money. They have it in Germany for less but way to much.
    It´s quite common on Ebay, but seller´s only shipping in the US. I would gladly pay more than asked if they would go through the "trouble" sending it via UPS, Fed Ex whatever!!

I was lurking around Music 123 and it´s there for like 1400$ less (price here: is ouch! 2700$) Doing some not to advanced math tells me there is 1000$ to "earn" shipping, tax, toll incl.
    So all the common GAS symptons is there, pounding heart, bogging eye´s, cold sweat ect.
    I have had my share of argument´s with the Mrs. (Mistress I these cases ;)) So i´m carefull! Must sell the fretless Jazz Dlx first!
    Well that´s a sane thought! One in one out!

Lurking around the Fenderforum to day. My face went pale…..a guy named FredW. did it! He bought one!! (bless you man!) And according to Music 123, there is only one left!!!!
    So that leaves me in a lot of "trouble" There is only three thing´s that´s standing between: 1. My fretless, 2. My brain and 3. My Mrs.

1: My fretless: Well paid a good price for it. Can dump the price and still be satisfied.
    2: My brain: Who am I kidding!!!!!
    3: My Mrs: Who am I kidding!!!!!

So i´m running out of time I think. There´s a demand, limited basses avalible. It´s really hard to sell fretless in Sweden. And the money I have are ment for something big that you live in……

I can "borrow" money from myself and try to repare the damage by selling the fretless after the deal is done.
    Or just see it fly away and forget that I ever saw it.

So guy´s any suggestions?
    I Have never dealt with Ebay, so I am inexperienced. But I reckon people are very carefull by all right´s
    And after all who can tell I a just an honest guy locking for my dreambass somewere in Scandinavia.

Your´s truly!

2. Right, clear symptoms of GAS. This happens all the time, you just have to step down a bit and think about it straight.

1. Are your basses allready covering all the ground?
    2. Is the next most important gear investment really a bass (not amp, cabinet...)?
    3. Are you 100% certain that this is a good deal?

and finally:

You're about to spend 1500$. And you're just going to order it by mail??!! Not even try it? For this kind of money I want to test every inch of the bass at least twice, for god's sake!

If you're sure about all this, I do not think you'll have any trouble perusaing your ms.

OK. That's how I do my thinking in this kind of situation. Hope it helps.

Jure

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    It sounds to me like he's probably played the bass at local stores, but isn't willing to pay the local price.
    I would have to agree with jure-
    Look at your situation and see if this bass is really worth the hassles and stress you'll have to deal with in aquiring it. Since you already have a bass, you obviously don't NEED it, but that's what GAS is all about ;). Basically make sure that your not doing something foolish before you make a purchase. If you don't have good feedback on Ebay already, there is no way you will be able to get someone to sell you a big-ticket item like a bass, since your international sand everything. If you really want one of the basses off ebay that's in the US, I would recommend having a US TB member that you trust buy it for you and ship it to you, and you pay him a few $$ for his trouble. My guess is that you will end up paying $200-$300 for shipping, customs, etc. Just be glad you don't live in Australia.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    they have one of theses at my local samash..matching headstock right?

and it is the nicest jazz i have every played..just amazing
    as long you don't need anything else.. go for it

steve

5. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Thanks for some really good replies!
    Nice of you not to push me over the edge.
    I usually manage that my self (laughs!)

Since i own a 75 MIJ jazz already. It will not cover new ground! So that leaves pure GAS. Or in this case just plain desire. Dangerous stuff that! But the joy of owning it!!! I tried at Peavey Millenium + and were inches from buying it. Unbelievebly versitile soundvise. Like a Swiss army knife! But it did not make my heart pound. This does. Just by looking at it.

It sounds to me like he's probably played the bass at local stores, but isn't willing to pay the local price.

Yes a number of times!
    And i has left me heartbroken everytime. The deal is real alright. The local store told me that for beeing such a nice fellow they could knock of 150$ on the original price. Thanks a million :rolleyes:

Just be glad you don't live in Australia.

Hi 5stringDNA!

I would love to live i Australia!!!!
    No-bass-land or not!
    And about Ebay! Well guess as you said, you have to earn a reputation for being a good guy. You can´t blame them.

By the way: Placed the order :D

I figured now or never! It´s not bying a new car (just a new CAR jazz) So! Im feeling a little lightheaded right now! And my ultra good bassplayer friend/teacher just gave me a slap in the back.

"Congrats!!!! But it will take ages for it to be as good my 72 Jazz Hahaha!"

Yeah yeah!

Cheers!

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    congrats on a new bass..we need pics when you get it

steve