Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pains...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Phunky, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    Ok i seriously got a technique-issue with both my hands when playing, i wear my bass pretty high to be able to slap and vertical to the ground maybe a little tilted upwards. I try to play as gentle as possible and i don't see what i'm doing wrong, since my favourite players play the same way and they seem fine.

Right hand: This bothers me the most, what would you consider be the most ultimate way to pluck the strings? i've been playing for 2 years and it still feels like i don't control all the strings properly, it feels sloppy. i always try to touch the upper string but when playing fast i skip touching the upper one, is this "correct"?. i really have no idea why i'm having wristpains becuase of this, and it's frustrating :mad:

Left hand: i think i'm pressing to hard, but i have too since otherwise it'll not be clear, any recommendations?

sorry i might be a bit unclear and stuff, i'm quite tired atm.

thankfully //Phunky

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    lower your action
    practice very slowly with metronome, I know it's easy to play fast without actually controlling it.

3. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    Thank you for your answer, i'll try to play more of james brown and simpler bass lines from now on, and will go for precision instead of speed.

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    The best thing I can tell you is that it is impossible to diagnose your technique problems on a forum post. I can't see your posture, how hard you are playing or fretting, if the angle of your hands is correct, etc.

I will give you this advice, pain is a precursor to some serious connective tissue problems and you want to get this stuff sus'ed out sooner than later.

Get a teacher. A qualified teacher. He will help you diagnose your issues and get you on the road to playing in relaxed way that won't be stressing your joints and ligaments.

Always practice with an amp or head phones. Trying to create audiable sound on an unamplified bass can really cause strain.

Hope this helps you. Take this seriously cause you can really hurt yourself if you continue to stain your joints.