paint help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Da Funk Docta, Jul 20, 2004.

1. I'm planning on refinishing my midnight wine red jazz bass with the same color but in nitro cellulose. I need to know
    1) where to get the midnight wine paint
    2) a good way to paint it
    I know its alot to ask.... but it would be nice if you guys could help.
  2. Learning to apply a pro finish is a great investment in time. Even if you try to do it with aerosol cans (which, if done right, can yield good results) it takes a long time and it makes a real mess. A good gun, compressor, and additional equipment costs :hyper: more than one pro refin. Why are you doing this? If you are just interested in changing the finish material because you think it will affect the tone, you are going to be disapointed. On a slab, as my jazzer friends call my solid body electrics, you probably won't hear a difference. And stripping Fenders made since about 1970, when they went to less traditional, higher tech finishes, is similiar to getting in a really nasty fist fight. Even if you survive, you feel damaged, and you wonder if it was worth getting into it in the first place. Those finishes are tough! Most stripping agents available to non-professionals will not budge the undercoat on modern Fenders, but they will take the skin off your hands and face very efficiently.

That said, refinishing can be a very rewarding activity. It is not that hard if you follow instructions, you can start getting professional results right away if you are patient and methodical, and you can get set up for around $500. Once you make the initial investment, you're able to refinsh (or finish unfinished components) for about $25. You can mix up midnite wine, or twilite wine, or brunch wine, or dawn wine, or any shade imaginable with some practice.

Go to the Stewart MacDonald website and order up a copy of "Guitar Finishing Step By Step". They also offer some videos that will get you off on the right foot. Most towns have a shop that caters to guys who paint cars, and the tools and materials that are not in the hardware stores or woodworker stores are there. I get high quality lacquer, stains, pigments, etc. from StewMac, but a lot of that stuff is available locally too.

One suggestion: if you want to refin your bass because yours is battered, there are a lot of touch-up techniques that might save you from having to do the whole job. Unfortunately that falls into the realm of repairs, and it is a lot more skill-and-experience intensive. Shoot me a PM, or give me a phone call (I am just down the road in San Diego) and I will help you out.
  3. One of the most popular sites for instrument refinishing is this one: All of their products are easy to use, provide professional results and these guys offer all of the support needed to do a killer job. Just look at the Gallery to see the quality their products produce.

BTW, Tombrien has some excellent advice on this subject.