Paint it or Not to paint it?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by depalm, Dec 22, 2005.

1. depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    Hi, I just bought a 78 Mustang Bass on a shop here in Rio. This bass is a joy to play and sounds fantastic.

I found it's in "O.K. condition" and although its bridge and control plate are still working they were a bit rusty so I decided to replace them for new ones. But my main doubt is: to paint it's body or not.

The original paint was removed and the former owner applied just a sealer. It looks fine, just like an old bass but I'm unsure because Rio is a very humid town, I'd like to get it protected against humidity and other things.

What you guys think about it?

Thanks in advance and happy New Year.
  2. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Don't do it, leave it natural.... :hyper:

3. A sealer won't last long under working conditions. Cover it. If you like the natural look, just put a clear coat on top. I would go with a solid color (black for me) but anything would do. There isn't much collector value left in the bass anymore so now it's a player and a looker. Make it the best one of those it can be.
  4. depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    Thanks dhadleyray and Hambone for the input.
    Yeah, I know there isn’t much value for collectors.

Anyway, I'll wait a bit and then if the sealer starts to wear out I'd think about refinish it. This mustang will be used most on my 50's surf music band.

Happy New Year.