1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

paint job estimate

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstotheface, Mar 6, 2010.

1. i want sort of a black and white bullseye, how much and where should i get it done?

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    For starters, I'd go to a couple of local guitar shops and ask them for recommendations of good refinishers in your area.

Price will probably vary depending of the level of detail work you want. A single coat, single color paint job with definitely cost you less than a 3TS

3. something like a black and white bullseye could be done by just about any auto paint booth in your town. It's just a matter of shooting it all white and then taping it off and shooting the rings in black. Find a vinyl sign company and have them cut you a stencil and drop the body and stencil at your local maaco, or paint shop.

The cost will come mostly from the prep I would imagine. does it need to be sanded down, or sealed and primered, is it already finished and need to be stripped. all these things will run into differing amounts.

4. its already got a solid black body. would it be less expensive if i took it apart myself. how would i know if it needed to be sanded down sealed or primered?

5. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    It really depends on how "professional" you want it to look.
    You could rattle-can some white onto the already black bass and get the look just fine.
    But if you want it to look Zakk Wylde-esque, you'll need to strip it down, prime it and seal it, then take it to an auto-body shop or luthier.
    You could also do it yourself if you're ambitious. If you're interested, check out stew-mac.
    If you can find out what color the car people are painting and bring the body by (primed and sealed) so they use the same color on your bass, it brings down the price a lot since they don't have to set up.
    If you want it done by a luthier though, it's best to ask a luthier who they'd recommend.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020