PAINT JOB GAS!!!! (MIichigan)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I was at a guitar shop in Detroit today and saw a sweet StingRay with an orange metal fleck (sparkle) paint job. so now i have to paint my black stingray like this. :bassist:

how much would that kinda job cost? anyone know any people that can do this in Michigan? :help:
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You've got three options:

1) Do it yourself. Not recommended if you don't know what you're doing and sparkle (flake) jobs are harder to do than solid colors.

2) Send it to a guitar refinisher. Do a search (either TB or internet engine) and locate someone reputable and send it off.

3) Find a paint and body guy in your area who knows what he's doing with wood finishes to shoot it for you. You can find info on prepping the body for paint on "Luthier's Corner" here on TB so do a search. Maybe a friend or a guitar tech at a music store where you do business can supply you with the name of a painter. If you do the prep work yourself you can save money. Also recommended IF you're careful doing the sanding and find a good paint guy.
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    There is a guy who's done, some work for me , basic stuff, set-ups etc. who builds gutiars and does some exceptional work, locally in Detroit Area, Also a mighty fine guriarist. I don't know if he refinishes, that can require some serious gear to do right (dust free). but I'm sure he'll know who to talk too.His name is Jim Rawlings. The two numbers I have for him are (248)770-6790 and 545 5560 . Also Low Down Sound could hook you up with Mike Lagan , he builds custom basses might help a little bit in this area. I'll warn you it might be almost the same cost to buy the color you want. ecsp. if you deduct what you could get for your axe. Also refinnishing could change the tone, one of the reasons Sadowsky's cost so much more and I believe sound better is they use nito-cellulous lacquer, much more costly to work with then poly finishes. I doubt Music Man or any factory is using the stuff just too much hassle on large
    production runs (enviormental regulations)
  4. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yow i didn't think it ould cost that much.

the guy at the store said i could trade my bass in and a few hundy for the one with the finish.....but i have history wih my bass :bawl:
  5. If you know how to spray paint, and have the tools (compressor, sprayer), it's not much more difficult to spray metalflake. The only big difference is that, between the base coat and the clear coats, you spray a coat of clear mixed with metal flakes. You can buy the flakes from an auto paint shop, just ask for a jar of "House of Kolor Metalflake". Or, check out It's expensive stuff, though: I bought a small jar of gold flake for painting a racebike, and I think I paid $100 for the jar.

The real fun is deciding what base color and what flake color you wanna use. If you want orange, then I'd recommend you spray an orange base and an orange flake. There's lots of variations you can do, though, like orange flake over a black base, or red flake over orange base. Mmmm, metalflake... Makes me think I should use some of that leftover gold to flake the bass I'm building...
  6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    The fact is, metalflake finishes are expensive because they are hard to do and easy to screw up if you are inexperienced. I did a few metalflake motorcycle paint jobs back in the day (and I had pro spraying gear, too) and I decided it wasn't worth the aggravation.
  7. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    most flake jobs are in 1 color coat these days.

basicly you primer the body in a tinted to the color you want first.

come back with the color coat, depending on how much you want the sparkle you want to show threw, you add flattner ( makes the metallic flakes lay flatter to show threw more ) and spray 2-3 coats on, then its on to clear coat( 5-6) and lots of wet sanding.

for a good job it takes time, practice, and money.
    ( ive done numerous guitars, motorcyles, cars, helmets, hauling trailers, whatever ya need )

if you dont have the equipment or the know how, it takes a lot to get it all, and a lot of dedication.
  8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i'll make some calls around town monday.

how is the tone affected?

how does the tone usually change? :meh:
  9. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I'm sending a couple of my fender's to these people in Minnesota (i think). They come highly recommended.
  10. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004

which shop?....i'd like to check out some of the other shops in the area..
  11. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i'm not telling. you may go buy my bass ha ha.

i was at junkyard music......or junkyard someting......used and vintage place. they had some old jazzes and some old stingrays.
  12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Well a few years back i bought a old usa fender jazz bass from a guy in a band that was opening for us. I got it for a hundred bucks. The olny problem was that it went through a fire and the finesh got so hot it kinda umm blanched? Didnt catch fire just hazed it really bad. Well i was lucky enough to have a drummer that is missouris main mercadies painter. So i took it to him and he took the paint and clear off of the bass and sprayed it with a purple paint from a distance and it made it dark purple but you could still see the wood grain in the correct lighting. And with a very nice clear coat it just blows youre mind. On stage it is awsome with diff lights. If i can get outside tomarrow with my fender i will take a couple pics of her so you can see it! I highly recomend a good auto person if he knows a few things about wood working as well.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Pat Wilkins is top notch and Michael Dolan has a great reputation too.