1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

paint on speakers = bad idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain_joe6, Apr 14, 2006.

1. I'm actually being serious on this one, will a small amount of thin paint on the speaker cone adversely affect the sound of the speaker? I've heard rumors that Phil Jones speakers are silver-pianted paper cones, and that got me wondering. Besides, some day-glo paint in funky designs could be very cool on vibrating speakers!

Thanks all!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    search "paint speakers"

3. I may be missing your point, but my search for "paint speakers" turns up plenty about coating the outside/enclosure. I'm looking for info on putting paint right on the cone of the speaker proper. Thanks, though.

4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I've seen ink on Hartke aluminum cone speakers and for better or worse, they still sounded exactly like Hartke speakers. Possibly ink being a lighter weight coloring agent than most paints and less/no risk of damage to the cone by the liquid elements of paint saturating and deteriorating the paper.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    sorry, I was just being snotty.

I thought there was a thread a while back asking about the same thing.

I think the general consensus was: might change speaker frequency response, bad if you played the speaker "wet". etc...

if its a light painting or you have the money to experiment GO FOR IT!!!

6. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
  7. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Well, I've never tried it, never heard of it either. All I can say is that I remember painting on paper in school, and I still have paper ART paintings from my 4-5-6 year old nephews and nieces, as well as some spectacular impressions from my ex-girlfriend's 7 year old, and the paper seems to want to crumble now that it's painted. Just a thought.

nb same thing happens on plastic when you paint the house and drop o few drops of latex or oils on the plastic covering your floors.

8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    If your going to paint the speakers, your effectivly adding weight to the cone of the speaker. This usualy increases the Thele small parameters of VAS, QEM, and QTS.

This will create a different speaker per say, meaning it will sound different, have reduced power handling, and probably end up reducing the life of the speaker drasticaly.

In one word: DONT. :spit:

9. yes...DON'T. this question came up a while back and i was fortunate enough to speak with a celestion rep about it. as joelb79 states, it can cause the speaker to fail.

10. well then, question answered

11. I have seen paint on eminence speakers before?

12. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Yup, don't do it. You would be adding mass to the part of your rig that actually creates the sound you're hearing. It will definitely change the way it sounds, and not in a good way.