Paint pickguard OR buy pg Blank sheet and cut one out??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 28, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a SX p-bass shortscale. Its a great bass but I never did like white pickguards so i want to change it to black.

If I paint the one on the bass now, won't the paint eventually scratch off? I do use a pick in about 50% of my playing.

My other option is to buy a sheet of blank pickguard material and try to make my own. I can buy the blank sheet locally for about $10 which will be cheaper, and less harmful to the environment than paint.

The problem with this option is how to NOT screw it up? I dont have any fancy tools to cut the shape out. Would I just use an exacto knife and keep at it. Then buy some light grit sand paper?

I have a feeling I wont get the pg to look as professional as it does now but I cant stand white.

2. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    Lately I've been doing the same thing. Personally I would go out an buy a sheet of adhesive carbon fiber and lay it on your existing pickguard. Strong composite stuff, and you can find it in slight tints to complement colors if you don't like the semi "raw" look.

It'll look cool, and you'll get kids with Honda Civics asking you if its "mad tite JDM".
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    hmm.. interesting idea.

where would i get adhesive carbon fibre?
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Don't paint, unless you want it to look like crap.

If that's the vibe you're going for, though, then do it.
  5. get some glossy black shelf paper, or vinyl like they use on work vans for lettering and put that on top and trip the excess.

As said, if you paint it, it'll look like crap, or worse, the chemicals in the paint my melt/warp the pickguard...
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I wonder if that new stuff they have out to paint plastic would work to paint a pickguard? Krylon makes it. It is supposed to chemically bond to the plastic.

It don't know exactly how it works, but it certainly does. I painted a flowerbox with it for our deck and it looks amazing.
  7. You certainly can paint these pickguards. If you use a good automotive touch up spray paint, it can look very good. Do a couple of good coats then wet sand with 600 grit lightly so really smooth it out and then recoat. You'll get a decently smooth finish. If you want, you can use a compatible clear coat over it. When it's cured, just take a stiff scraper blade like a boxcutter blade and scrape the paint from the beveled edge. This will uncover the W/B/W layering that makes the edges look nice.
  8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks for the advice guys.

My concern about layering some sort of vinyl / plastic-y material over the top is that with a little time the edges will start coming unglued and will flop around.

I have researched painting the pg a little and a few people said that no matter how it is painted it will get scratched up.

I have three options:

1. buy a blank sheet of pg material and *try* to do a decent job on it.

2. Paint it as Hambone suggests, but be prepared to re-paint / do touch-ups when the paint scratches off.

3. Order one custom made from Warmoth. I will have to email them to see if they do this. Definitely the most expensive option, but it will probably look the best too.
  9. Yeah, I was just thinking lowest cost...I wouldn't want to blow 45 bucks for a warmoth guard for a 100 dollar bass is all.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, I emailed Warmoth and they said they won't do it. Bummer.

I guess I'll try cutting my own first. If that turns out to be a total hack job, I guess painting is my only option.
  11. Have you got the beveled router bit to do the edge of the pg. That's crucial to making one look like it should.
  12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    No. I dont have a router. Could I just buy that bit and put it on the end of a regular drill?
  13. longtall1960

Aug 30, 2005
    I have used that Krylon paint with good results. I also had one custom cut from WD products. They do really nice work.
  14. Have you looked at guitar stores? I always see PGs on the shelf.
  15. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    They arent going to fit a 3/4 sized p-bass.
  16. No, because they use a bearing around the shaft that is guided along a template to follow the contour and precisely bevel the edge. The template is used first to cut the pg, or trim it to to shape and then to bevel it.

Oh, and the router will turn it at the proper 10,000-20,000 RPM.
  17. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    the adhesive carbon fiber sounds Very intriguing. it's not cheap, and will probably fray when cut, but here's a site that has some:

or for cheap fake stuff... here's another