Paintball and Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by strangemusic, Dec 7, 2004.

1. A little while ago, sitting, bored, in math class, I began to think about my two favourite pastimes... bass (of course), and paintball! I've been 'balling for some time, even at a local tourney level a few times. Being a back player, I'm often required to move my fingers like blazing hell, stringing lots of paint at a high rate in order to pin people into their bunkers. This got me wondering: "damn! all that fast trigger walking is done with the same fingers I use to play the bass! There's got to be some sort of benefit to my fingerstyle technique, and the bass fingerwork probably helps with firing consistency..." I realized that fingerstyle bass and competitive paintball were a match made in heaven.

I guess my point is that other activites could often foster better bass technique: any TB'ers (or TB paintballers???) have similar things that they do?
  2. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    You've got a fellow Paintballer right here! :hyper: Though I don't go to tournaments, I do enjoy hitting up a local playing field with a friend or 2 about once a month, weather and wife permitting of course.
  3. Not the right forum...should be under miscellaneous. :scowl: :scowl:

Sheesh...where are the moderators when you need them? :confused:

Just playing around. I got smacked yesterday for a similar thing :p
  4. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i used to go paintballing when i lived in WA because the forests in our backyards stretched out forever, so we would buy a couple thousand paintballs and tents and go camp out somewhere for the weekend and have wars. but sadly there is no big forest in my backyard here in CA... :crying:
  5. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    The bassplayer always wins when I'm paintballing ;)

...and they hate me because of it too!
  6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Paint balling is fun cause I shoot people. I don't like getting shot. I remember when I was trying to sleep after the first time I went. I kept having this feeling I'm still being hunted and shot at.

I'll stick with bass.
  7. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    So you don't PB anymore?? Oh come on!!!
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Moved to Misc.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Former paintball player here. I only had so much money, I'd prefer to put it towards bass.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I found that tapping on my fretless increased my typing abilities, and vice versa. The whole "bass player grip" thing helps out with a lot of things too, like getting into pesky jars. Also, it helps in putting guitarists in their place -- one of the guitarist tried that "shake hands and squeeze as hard as possible" with our drummer and was pretty even. I hadn't done this since before even starting bass more than two and a half years ago, so he and I went and I just kinda...crushed his hand :eek: .

Is there any truth to horn players being good kissers, anyone?
  11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Paintball rules, until you get shot in the crotch. Avoid at all costs. Hasn't improved my bass playing at all, but it's still a great time!
  12. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    A buddy of mine got hit right in the 'taint' with a paintball flying at 300 feet per second.
    ...he doesn't play anymore.
  13. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    A decent pair of jeans will cut down on that allot. Plus, anyone hear of a cup? :rolleyes:
  14. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I myself wear, and 90% of the players at my local fields wear camoflage army fatigues, which is a little thinner than denim jeans. Makes for better hiding while in the brush, is a little cooler during the summer months, but gives a little less protection from bruises. I don't know of a single person who wears a cup while in the field, though I'm sure someone does.
  15. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I agree. I wear the same, but mine are made from a heavier "jean" type material. Adds a little more ptotection. Of course, I've been known to just walk straight across the field at my targets...
  16. I'm a paintballer. I play routinely on the local tourney level, but I'm selling my gun to get a better stack. New gun in the spring, methinks. Powerlyte Isis... mmm...
  17. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

I've gone a few times with my friends after the that. But I don't think I would ever buy my own stuff and make it a regular thing.
  18. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I used to go paintballing, but don't do it anymore. I bought an Autococker over a year ago when all my friends were getting paintball guns. I only used mine once before all my friends quit and decided to spend their money on drugs and alcohol (underaged too). I would really like to get started up in paintball again, but I don't have the money to support it. Right now my gun is just colleting dust. :(
  19. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    i played trombone in juniour high band and i could leave a hicky on a girl that would last like a month. I dunno if i was a better kisser though
  20. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    My hand endurance increased after playing the bass and i really helps with the piano.