Painted Fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DigthemLows, Sep 14, 2005.

1. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I've seen a couple of fretboards painted white, but never a fretless............is there a way to do this? The board is rosewood. Is this a dumb idea?? I just love the way it looks on fretted basses.

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

You could do this and cover it with a clear durable coating, maybe an epoxy. You'd have to make sure that the coating wouldn't react with whatever paint you used in some negative way.

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I don't think I've ever seen a painted fretboard of any color. Anyone know where to find some pictures?

4. i've seen a Ritter with a white fretboard. there is a thread whith a lot of pictures from ritter in the basses forum.. on some of the pictures there is a white bass whith a white fretboard..

do a search

5. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    thanks God

6. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Google Larry Graham Moon Bass

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    www.hootpage.com Mike Watt has a moon bass with one, and then there's the Ritter somewhere on TB..........I've never seen a fretless without lines in a color, thought it might look kinda cool? Put some black tape wounds on it??............I might do this....

9. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    [​IMG]

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    There are very few painted fretless fingerboards in the world. However, Basslab does that rather frequently.

If you can do a good underwork, to make sure that the paint will adhere to the oily rosewood, any automotive paint will be OK. You will need a few layers of clearcoat, of course :D

11. Morfman6

Morfman6 Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Northern Virgina
    I have always wanted a 'Graham' all white jazz bass! Celinder makes a cool version and in a 5-String. Thought about doing it myselft and what with my limited experience spraying nitro...how does one clean up the fretboard around all the frets? :meh: