Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Painted Fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DigthemLows, Sep 14, 2005.

1. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I've seen a couple of fretboards painted white, but never a fretless............is there a way to do this? The board is rosewood. Is this a dumb idea?? I just love the way it looks on fretted basses.

2. You could do this and cover it with a clear durable coating, maybe an epoxy. You'd have to make sure that the coating wouldn't react with whatever paint you used in some negative way.

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I don't think I've ever seen a painted fretboard of any color. Anyone know where to find some pictures?

4. i've seen a Ritter with a white fretboard. there is a thread whith a lot of pictures from ritter in the basses forum.. on some of the pictures there is a white bass whith a white fretboard..

do a search

5. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    thanks God

6. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Google Larry Graham Moon Bass

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    www.hootpage.com Mike Watt has a moon bass with one, and then there's the Ritter somewhere on TB..........I've never seen a fretless without lines in a color, thought it might look kinda cool? Put some black tape wounds on it??............I might do this....

9. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    [​IMG]

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    There are very few painted fretless fingerboards in the world. However, Basslab does that rather frequently.

If you can do a good underwork, to make sure that the paint will adhere to the oily rosewood, any automotive paint will be OK. You will need a few layers of clearcoat, of course :D

11. Morfman6

Morfman6 Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Northern Virgina
    I have always wanted a 'Graham' all white jazz bass! Celinder makes a cool version and in a 5-String. Thought about doing it myselft and what with my limited experience spraying nitro...how does one clean up the fretboard around all the frets? :meh: