Painted hardware? .....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Vella, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Vella

Vella

Nov 26, 2019
    I have a 2013 Fender Precision Deluxe 60th anniversary edition (the one with the P bass pick up and The bridge J pickup) Its natural colour with a maple neck black pick guard.

My question is I really like the look of all black hardware, tunning pegs, nut, control knobs, bridge and strap holder things. Currently its is all chrome.

1. Could I get someone to paint the hardware (spray paint, some type of auto paint, or some thing else (what would be best))

2. Would it de value the bass for future sale?

3. Would I be able to find the parts in black?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    1. No. Paint won't adhere well to the chrome. It will chip off in no time.
    2. Yes - if it is painted.
    3. All the parts you mention are available in black finishes.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    FWIW I have noticed that over time, chrome hardware seems to hold up a bit better than black and much better than gold. I like it for that, and the plain look has grown on me.
    But if you have the urge, pretty much all standard hardware comes in black.
    I would avoid painting if at all possible. It will wear off and quite likely gum up the tuning gears & set screws on the bridge if you're not careful.

4. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Just keep the chrome hardware somewhere safe when you install the black hardware (I wouldn’t worry about the nut for resale value. White, black...whatever, as long as it’s good to go). You MAY be able to find drop in replacements (I’m unfamiliar with the model...but it is a Fender), and I’m sure you could get help on that here. So, if you do decide to sell the bass, swap the hardware back to all original and you’re good to sell.

Do not paint.

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If you decide to paint, get some Duracoat or CeraKote, or better yet find someone who is familiar with those finishes to do the job for you, unless you already have pro grade conventional spray gear and an oven to bake your parts in to set the finish.
    If you really want something different for your hardware, get in touch with Jet-Hot. They apply an ultra thin film ceramic coating. Originally developed to protect variable geometry afterburner nozzles, they have become a big time player in the world of high end hot rodding, coating everything from engine blocks to dash panels in a large variety of colors. I’ve seen demos of parts coated with Jet-Hot beat with hammers and not chip so it’s as durable (or more so) than chrome plating.
    In order to work correctly, all your chrome plated parts will need to be stripped prior to applying any of the above finishes.
    Since you don’t want some custom color i’d suggest you buy a set of black hardware. It will be less expensive than refinishing all your existing stuff with a finish durable enough to last more than a few months.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021